Mini Precision Drill Press

echesak

Active User
Registered
I'm wondering if there are any good plans or even good units to purchase for a miniature precision drill press. I regularly drill 0.020" holes through the edge of 3/32 steel stock. My main drill press is worn and the chuck wobbles a lot, so it makes drilling these a bit of a challenge. I need to do something to re-build my current drill press, but I thought a smaller, higher speed, more precision drill press would be in order. I'm not interested in adapting a dremel, but rather a precision stand alone unit. Before I set-out to design one, I wanted to see if there was any good options out there.

Thanks,

Eric

I'm wondering if there are any good plans or even good units to purchase for a miniature precision drill press. I regularly drill 0.020" holes through the edge of 3/32 steel stock. My main drill press is worn and the chuck wobbles a lot, so it makes drilling these a bit of a challenge. I need to do something to re-build my current drill press, but I thought a smaller, higher speed, more precision drill press would be in order. I'm not interested in adapting a dremel, but rather a precision stand alone unit. Before I set-out to design one, I wanted to see if there was any good options out there.

Thanks,

Eric

Check out Jerry Howel's site. http://www.model-engine-plans.com/

Thanks, Dan & Dennis,

I had looked at the ones on ebay previously, but didn't see anything I liked. I need something that has a lot of finesse and might have good life. I'll take a look at Jerry's site. I've seen many of his engine plan sets.

I was looking at these, from Servo:
http://servoproductsco.com/html/drill_presses.html
There are even a few on ebay. They seem to have good reviews and may have part availability for the foreseeable future. Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks again for the input,

Eric

If you can find one, a Dumore #8105 is your ticket. 17K no load RPM 0 to 17K with the speed control.

"Billy G"

102_0632 (800 x 531).jpg

I have seen Hamiltons sensitive drill presses, and they are some beautiful machines. Not terribly small in stature for what thy do, but obviously fully appointed and really well thought out.
Truly apparent that that are really meant to do what they do.
There is a "Varispeed" model, with a clever tapered cone pulley, and a two-position belt model as well.
I have see those Servo drill presses online, and they seem pretty sweet as well.

Bernie

All those look like good options. I think I'll set-up some ebay searches and see what comes-up. The Dumore, Camron and Servo units are at the top of my list. Odd that the Dumore 8105 doesn't come-up on a Google search. Interesting how some have a fixed chuck and a stage that moves (from what I can see).

I was thinking that I might be able to design and build something, with spare parts that I have here. I love designing, but there is still a lot that I'd need to buy. At some point it just becomes better to buy outright. I can't tell you how many bits I've broken, drilling with my old import drill press. The drill tip wobbles probably 80-100 thou. This makes peck drilling a real challenge.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Eric

Try this number. Cat. # 16-011. That is the Dumore Catalog Number. I believe the other is the Serial #.

"Billy G"

Yep, Thanks. That helps. Looks like a very simple little machine.

Eric

Back