Mini Split install

Shop has about 1" or so of plastic backed insulation.

It takes awhile for it to warm the shop up, but with more insulation I'm sure it would be much faster. One thing you should know, the MR Cool wifi app doesn't work at all. I tried a number of times and unless you are conneted to the same wifi router it doesn't work.

This is the DIY mini-split I have my eye on.
The 12,000 BTU version. I have 400 ft. of well insulated garage/shop.

Attachments

• mini-split.pdf
    975.2 KB · Views: 28
Chris’s nephew is in the HVAC business keeps trying to convince me to go mini split. My problem is I don’t have enough power in the shop to support a unit nor the wall space to mount it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m dealing with a lack of power in the garage also.
Who puts 3 outlets in a garage on 1 15 amp breaker?.
I guess if you park cars in the garage you may need to plug in a charger.
Who parks a car in the garage?
Don’t answer, it’s a retoricle question.
I’m dealing with it but come on.

You guy's with the DIY mini splits.....
How many years do you have on them?
How do you like the performance?
Do you feel they are efficient and minimum impact to your elec. bill?

The reason I ask is the pricing seems to be very "regional" that is here in Maine they seem to be the new "big thing" and I had a 2 "head" unit installed by a large Mini split heat pump outfit that does 1000+ installs a year, mine is a LG unit and was a day job for 2 guys and cost me iirc $6200.
Now I'm looking into helping our daughter out in Maryland, where they (the HVAC guy's) seem to still be pushing traditional heap pumps with all the ductwork and most are unfamiliar with the mini splits and seem to be charging as if it were a traditional ductwork/heat pump set up, and stuck in that rut. The prices I'm getting are crazy for a one day job for 2 men. I watched them do mine and it's very simple and I would not be afraid to do it myself. Even if I were to install it and pay a hvac guy to vacuum it down and check my work and fire it up.......
I can't say enough good things about our mini splits, they actually make hot air and do a fine job on the cooling, both weeks here in Maine.;)
The electric bill seems to be virtually unchanged month to month.

Back in 2001... I bought my first house. It had window units and I couldn’t stand the noise. So with my discovery of the internet and eBay I discovered mini-splits. I couldn’t afford Mitsubishi but saw a totally generic 9k btu unit on EBay from an outfit in Miami. Rolled the dice and purchased/installed it. That little unit worked flawlessly for @ 14 years when I renovated and installed central air and heat. It was dirt cheap....like 400.00 bucks back then and even had a European style 230 volt plug on it.
Anyway.... That was an early exposure to me of Chinese mass production of consumer goods....you know, the way they just copy something and produce a generic product. I have no problem buying stuff like that on eBay now. I look at the feedback and number of units sold. No need to pay top dollar for Mr Slim in my opinion. The insides and guts of the stuff is very comparable in my opinion. The price is 1/3 the cost.
22k heat pump ac....22 sear.

By the way Rookie Chips. You surely should be able to install the unit you purchased off of EBay and then locally find a licensed HVAC guy to evacuate the lines for you. Some units even come with precharged linesets.
I am licensed for automotive AC.... so I do have basic knowledge of refrigerant dynamics. And the early mini splits even instructed you to just purge the lines. These mini-splits have been installed worldwide for over 2 decades now. Watch any Netflix video of the Middle East and pay attention to the housing. I’m talking about movies made in 1990’s and 2000’s. There are mini-splits everywhere.
Even though I had the vac pump, gauges and knowledge.... once I read the instructions on my cheap ductless unit and saw how they instructed me to bleed & purge the line-set and inside unit using the precharged condenser.... that’s what I did, because I was lazy. Yes... I cut corners on my own crap all the time.
I did purge the line set. No vac pump. And it worked 14 years.
The biggest problem I had was my dog ate the remote. I could not locate another remote and the many of these mini split inside evaporators do not have separate controls. No remote and the thing is useless.
I highly recommend anyone buying any mini split to order at least one extra remote when they buy the unit. It’s a big problem if you loose or break the remote.
Or if your new puppy chews the remote.

I actually opened the remote and did micro surgery on the printed circuit board. But I never got the display working on the remote. I honestly think that’s what caused the compressor to finally lock up. I never knew what temp or mode I was setting the ac on. It was trial and error. But, I’m thinking I probably got a few more years out of it even with a hacked remote. It was on or off.
Tried about 6 different universal remotes from EBay but none of them worked. I’m sure a Mr Slim would have had a remote easily obtainable.
But.... no big deal in my opinion. For the price savings... just buy a couple of spare remotes whenever you get a new mini split.
Anyway....here’s a discussion on diy- installing mini splits.Mini split & vac pump
And...if you plan on getting someone to charge unit after you do the installation yourself.... you’re going to do better trying to find a tech to do his for you while the weather is still cool. In the dead of summer those HVAC guys are up to their elbows in easy work. They’re not going to want to deal with a customer installed unit when they are already putting off other customers. Come winter time....their business slows down.

Last edited:
I self-installed a 9000 BTU Mitsubishi for our bedroom, partly because the pros wanted more than the unit itself to install it, and partly because I like learning new things. I bought an Ebay vacuum pump and bottle of nitrogen and sucked down the lines myself. That was about 4 years ago and it's awesome, amazingly quiet. Also, being one of the smallest units means that it's also the most efficient, at something crazy like 31 SEER, which means very little impact on the electric bill here in expensive California. What I appreciate the most, maybe even more than the cooling, is its ability to lower the humidity, taking up to 2.5 gallons of water out of the air just running it over night during the summer.

Back