Miniature or Micro English Wheel

PHPaul

Registered
Registered
As a Winter diversion, I play around (as opposed to really knowing what I'm doing) building various things from scratch out of brass shapes - mostly models of agricultural equipment.

As I get into more complex projects, I've run into a couple of situations where having a really small English Wheel to form compound curves in light brass sheet would be handy. I suspect it'd also be an interesting learning experience. By "really small" my initial thoughts are wheels of about 1" in diameter and perhaps half an inch wide. Perhaps as large as double those dimensions.

If anyone knows of such a critter available commercially, has built one, knows where I could find plans for such a thing or just generally has advice, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I have a hand held (see pic), maybe you would call it an English Wheel? It has come in handy more than once to remove small car body dents…Dave
englishwheel.jpg

That could certainly be adapted to my idea by replacing the flat plate with a roller.

Do you have a name/source for that tool?

Edit: Never mind...Googled it. They certainly are proud of those things!

Last edited:
@magicniner: Too big for my purposes, but sure gives me some good ideas for building my own. Thanks!

At your convenience, if you're so inclined, a closeup or two of the wheel assemblies would be very helpful.

We're about ready for bed here but I will definitely get you some detailed shots in the morning.

Much appreciated. I got caught out by the international flavor of this forum :chunky:

found this with a google search - looks like it would be easy to duplicate.

1517872130791.png

an old C-clamp - your choice of size and a flat wheel and a crowned wheel.
??

Back