[How do I?] Minnkota Trolling Motor

mdawgplmb

Registered
Registered
I"d like to power a Minnkota trolling motor by bicycle crank with semi recumbent seating, prop to rear, and tilt up protection for the shallows. Unable to find a forum. Anyone?

Sent from my Alcatel_4060O using Tapatalk

No reason it can't be done. Just depends on how creative you are. Are you planning on powering a generator with the bicycle crank? I would keep a battery onboard just in case you get tired;)

I have only played around with 12 volt ones that drew about 10 amps at slow - medium speed. = 120 watts. They say that a person in good condition can generate 50 - 150 MECHANICAL watts for and hour on a bike. The efficiency of your generator will be critical I would think, depending on long you would like to cruise. Might be better to use mechanical power to turn the prop, although you won't have battery back up as suggested above.

David

Interesting. What are the efficiency losses to go from pedal to generator to motor to ouput power?
Robert

Interested in your thoughts on where you are going with this? Around these parts, when you are using a troll motor its because you want to be standing on the casting deck, flicking lures at snags. Not reclining and pedalling............

Cheers Phil

With my kayak I normally sit & flick lures at snags. I don't have a trolling motor but it would be nice to pedal it along, keeping it moving with hands free. Many high $$ kayaks are pedal or battery powered, not in my budget. just my 2 cents.

fixit

I"d like to power a Minnkota trolling motor by bicycle crank with semi recumbent seating, prop to rear, and tilt up protection for the shallows. Unable to find a forum. Anyone?

Sent from my Alcatel_4060O using Tapatalk

How about a photo of your "boat"

Ken

Back