Misadventures of an amateur, long hole drilling.

PaulH

Registered
Registered
So, with the intent to save a family heirloom octagon barreled .22 rifle circa 1915, I decided to put a new liner in the barrel. Studied up on it a little, chucked it as true as I knew how, indicating off of spuds (don't have plug gauges) in the ends of the barrel, center drilled, drilled a start hole with a rigid stub drill, then went in deep in stages with a good .3125 aircraft length drill from both ends. Well, Murphy took over the job at this point...in the center of the barrel length where my two drillings met, I'm about .020" or .030" estimated, off of alignment. After the teardrops dried, I went on Ebay and ordered a supposedly lightly used .3125" carbide tip gundrill that is long enough to go end to end.
My questions 1. How hazardous is it going into a misaligned hole with the single point tool, are they prone to binding?
2. Machinery's Handbook suggests a much higher speed than my old lathe is capable of turning, can I get by using what I have? 850 rpm.
3. Gun drills were not intended to correct errors, so should I consider brazing a chucking reamer on a long shank to "blend" the misalignment.

I'll start with...I have no idea, though I'm sure someone will, but misalignment of barrel at the center point SOUNDS dangerous. Thankfully its a .22 not something with 120gr and a slug the size of you thumb. Interested on what the experts say...

You probably should have been using a piloted machine reamer, but I really am at a loss to see why you should be seeing a non concentric situation, drills generally will follow an existing hole. I knew an old man years ago that did sleeving of small bore rifles, and he just used ordinary twist drills with a extension brazed on, but presumably went through in one shot from end only.

Well thanks, you can bet the next one is going through in one shot. The new sleeve is .3105 and the new drilled bore is .313 so there is not much room for error. I don't know what I was thinking (mostly not thinking).

Check this out by Joe Pi. Fairly long.

Back