Misc Things Made

Groundhog

Registered
Registered
Bunch of photos I found of some motorcycle related stuff I made in years past;
(emblems are usually 6061 and powder coated color and clear. i am not good at photographing polished surfaces.)

Timing hole cover for my Multistrada; stock on left mine on right
W-alt cover front.jpg

Frame hole plugs - stock holes, with plugs, components as made
W-duc frame plugs 3.jpg P1020648.JPG W-duc frame plugs 1.jpg

USMC themed emblems for a custom H-D - tank medallions, rear fender medallion, tank center bib (uninstalled)
W-Tank.jpg W-MIA POW 1a.jpg W-Jack D Bib 1b small.jpg

Ducati custom emblems - satin finished
W-150HP.jpg

Not motorcycle but I think it is cool - emblem for a friends big block 72 Cutlass convertible
W-Howling.jpg

A group of guys I sometimes ride with
W-Romeo.jpg

For a friend's Softail - about 3 1/2" diameter
W-USMC hard.jpg

I found these forgotten photos a few days ago and decided to post them rather than just forgetting about them again.

How are u engraving the emblems, they look great

dlane,
I have a Syil X4+ CNC mill that I piggy backed with a Kress 20,000 rpm variable speed spindle. I use 2 flute mini end mills (down to 0.005"), both flat and ball, and single flute end mills smaller than that. Cutting depth is in the neighborhood of 0.03" to 0.05", usually via several passes. So, in that respect they are not so much engraved as they are milled.
Depending on the color scheme and desired aluminum finish, I usually sand the powder coating off the high places taking it down to an eventual 5000 grit sandpaper - then polish to a chrome like finish. The finished emblem gets powder coated with clear. Two color powder coat jobs are very difficult. The final attempt for the USMC black / red / chrome emblem took about 8 hours to make.
I have not figured a way to photograph the high gloss emblems. The finish is like a mirror. For example, the POW / MIA emblem above is pure black and chrome. All the varying colors in the black are reflections, the red in the USMC globe is one color red with no pink as shown and does not have the apparent imperfections around the "R" and the "I", and the ROMEO riders is a travesty with a somehow shifted image. Anyhow, I'm happy with the emblems - not so much the photography.

Nice work, very nice.

As far as the photography goes, silver (cutlery, hollow ware, etc) is often photographed inside a tent which is basically a loose box with one open side. The sides and top are covered in white translucent material, such as Remay or lightweight curtain sheer material. Light for the object can pass through the thin walls of the box, but any reflections on the pieces just come back as the soft white of the scrim material. It's a bit of monkeying around to get the setup right, but the results are usually pretty good.

-frank

Wow, beautiful work!

My hat is off to you, Wow!

CHuck

francist, - I've tried making a light box using typing paper (edited - tracing paper, not typing). Still wasn't happy. Either the highlights were washed out, too much contrast, no contrast at all, etc. I finally gave up and went back to laying them in the sun with my camera on auto everything! :surrender: Easiest and as good as any other way I am able to do.

Last edited:
Very nice , it's an art to produce or even reproduce badges and emblems . I like them all. Remember the days when stickers were in everything you bought . Thrush headers and mufflers , cherry bomb . I use to write to companies and ask for free stickers Mobil oil lots of places had neat designs . I wanted my own stickers made up till the company wanted a few hundred to do the easy art work . A wheelchair with large flames and a G on top of an A inset in a W . I earned my flames racing power scooter at our trap club during a state shoot. My wrangler won , and the guy running the shoot new I shot the silver Winchester handicap loads . Silverbullet was it then till now and ever. Oops running at the brain sorry

Back