Missed it by thaaaat much...

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I turned my bar stock, took measurements, and calculated my center height at 3.910. I have a bar that I'm using to catch the top edge of the tool, and my sneaking up on that dimension went 3.9104 tall. I faced an aluminum bar, my 1/32 NR insert tool leaves no noticeable nub to touch, or fingernail catch. My 1/64 NR insert tool looks smooth, but I can catch a noticeable nub with my fingernail. Not sure I should chase this with the possibility of stacked tolerances, and measurements + or -, and the nub gets worse, I would scrap the piece and start over.

I'm using the flat bottom of an edge at this height, and I think it might be more of a "feel" thing plus these inserts have a few cuts on them, not sure how that plays into this as well. I'm of a mind to play with it and see how the repeatability is, I did not try zeroing my HSS yet, I'll give that a try too.

I just sighted in 5 HSS holders, and tools, kinda getting the touch, zero nubs. I think I'll keep it.:cool:

Reactions: Z2V
For facing, set your tool very slightly high and cross 0 on the feed. Guaranteed no nub.
I'm trying to picture how this would be a guaranteed way of eliminating the ole nub. It doesn't work in my mind. Haven't tried it.
I'm not arguing with you I just don't get why unless it burnishes the nub with the side of the insert as it passes by zero.

I’m betting the little high is tool, top slide, and bed deflection. Experience on different materials and cut depth will change the amount above that works. Hadn’t thought about that before. Probably same for cutoff tools.

Back