Missed it by that much....

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My lathe is a PM 12x28 1.5" bore. I'm sure I can figure out something to do with this chunk I just got. 42" L x 1.61 Diameter.

That looks like it probably had a nice price tag for someone once upon a time.

Oh man... my bore is .865...... EIGHT SIXTY FIVE!!!!

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!

Noooooooo couldn’t be a proper 7/8”.... you think it’ll fit... (that’s what she said)

hmmm. Looks a lot like a hydraulic cylinder piston rod. You might check if it's induction hardened before deciding what to do with it. NitroBar is a hardened bar with a black colored plating.

Looks carbide coated to me. At the end of the major OD, you can see the change from the coating back to the base material. A file probably won't touch it.

One of my hopes was to be able to chuck it up for truing the head stock to tail stock, but.... It is a new in the box replacement hydraulic ram shaft. I have no idea on the properties.

Better check the hardness before you get too excited. I had one once that was just the right size for a project, but I couldn't touch the stuff with my small lathe (even with carbide). Maybe a more heavy duty lathe could have done something with it.

Chances are that it is hard chrome plated then

It was chrome plated, but even under the chrome it was extremely hard. Didn't spend too much time on it as it was not worth my time. Still have the rod, so now that I have a much heavier lathe, I should see if I can do anything with it now.

Last edited:
It's guite a sight watching the induction hardened bar stock being machined in the plant. They turn at high speed, with I think I was told ceramic(?) inserts. When the tool hits the bar there is a bright orange continuous "stream" shooting straight up from the tool. It goes straight up a good 12" where you see the color start to darken and the "stream" starts to curl up and it drops down as swarf to be augered away.. Pretty cool. It took a long time for them to find the perfect combination to do that, now it's bread n butter stuff.

Back