• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

    https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

    Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Missing parts from GB

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

s_vanhoveln

Iron
Registered Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2017
Messages
19
Likes
50
#1
This is my first wheel ever. It is to replace one of several parts missing from an old Gustav Becker 2-train wall clock. A few teeth have a slight burr at the apex that I need to dress a bit with a file. I made the fly cutter myself and despite the flaws I'm pretty stoked. More parts will follow as they are completed.
 

Attachments

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2014
Messages
3,388
Likes
3,396
#3
Wow. Nicely done!
-brino
 

s_vanhoveln

Iron
Registered Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2017
Messages
19
Likes
50
#5
In order to make the next part, I had to make more tooling. Machine tools are so cool; you can use your tools to make more tools, adding capabilities to your tools! Anyway, may indexing plate for my rotary table is only a ten-holer, and I needed 14 to get the right ratio. The barrel I have to replace has 84 teeth. I couldn't find any other way to get what I needed, so I made another indexing plate. As I was going through the trouble anyway, I made it 28 and also added a ring of 25 to expand the ratios available (a future project needs the 25). I made everything out of A-36 HRS because I couldn't find everything I needed in 1018. 1.jpg
2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg
The tube is welded into the plate. My welding skills are poor at best, and you can see the bead is a little below flush in some spots. As you can see from the last photo it fits and works!
 

s_vanhoveln

Iron
Registered Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2017
Messages
19
Likes
50
#6
I did some math wrong and cut the teeth on this wheel too deep. Though I knew it right away, I backed off a little and cut the rest of the teeth. My hope was that I could replace the small tooth and use the wheel, but I missed by too much at the beginning and despite the correction I still made the ending diameter too small. I made a 87.5 tooth piece of scrap.
3b.jpg
 
Last edited:

s_vanhoveln

Iron
Registered Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2017
Messages
19
Likes
50
#8
Third time's a charm! Instead of trying to cut to the correct measured depth I decided it was time to surrender and used Dykem. Cheating a bit, but as soon as the last hint of purple is gone the tooth form is completed.
84a.jpg

This yielded a very slightly different diameter than expected, but I can address any depthing issues with a bushing if necessary. While it was still on the arbor I decided to cut the recess for the barrel.
84b.jpg
 

s_vanhoveln

Iron
Registered Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2017
Messages
19
Likes
50
#9
Barrel is complete. And only the great wheel required more than one try.
complete1.jpg

I reused the arbor and cap as this is a movement with some cool history. The cap snaps in nicely, and the end shake on the arbor is perfect! The finish matches the other barrel or I would polish it more.
Complete2.jpg
 

s_vanhoveln

Iron
Registered Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2017
Messages
19
Likes
50
#10
IT FITS!!
yippee.jpg
I haven't yet made a depthing tool (in my defense I've never needed one until now) so I wasn't sure it was going to work. Theoretically with the correct number of teeth of the correct form it HAS to fit, but I was really holding my breath.
 

s_vanhoveln

Iron
Registered Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2017
Messages
19
Likes
50
#11
The clock is done! I had to make a pillar nut since I couldn't find one that looked the same. The lock lever return spring was also dead and needed to be replaced. This was a small leaf spring that I had to cut, file, and heat treat.
spring.jpg
This is the only picture I took of that process. It's cut from a piece of the old mainspring I took out. The only thinnest stock I had in the shop was too thick, and I only had to draw file a little to get this down to .015".
runningclock.jpg
It didn't turn out too bad, and despite all the parts I made from scratch it runs quite well.
 
[6]
[5] [7]
Top