Missing parts from GB

s_vanhoveln

Registered
Registered
This is my first wheel ever. It is to replace one of several parts missing from an old Gustav Becker 2-train wall clock. A few teeth have a slight burr at the apex that I need to dress a bit with a file. I made the fly cutter myself and despite the flaws I'm pretty stoked. More parts will follow as they are completed.

wheel.jpg

Wow. Nicely done!
-brino

In order to make the next part, I had to make more tooling. Machine tools are so cool; you can use your tools to make more tools, adding capabilities to your tools! Anyway, may indexing plate for my rotary table is only a ten-holer, and I needed 14 to get the right ratio. The barrel I have to replace has 84 teeth. I couldn't find any other way to get what I needed, so I made another indexing plate. As I was going through the trouble anyway, I made it 28 and also added a ring of 25 to expand the ratios available (a future project needs the 25). I made everything out of A-36 HRS because I couldn't find everything I needed in 1018. 1.jpg
2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg
The tube is welded into the plate. My welding skills are poor at best, and you can see the bead is a little below flush in some spots. As you can see from the last photo it fits and works!

I did some math wrong and cut the teeth on this wheel too deep. Though I knew it right away, I backed off a little and cut the rest of the teeth. My hope was that I could replace the small tooth and use the wheel, but I missed by too much at the beginning and despite the correction I still made the ending diameter too small. I made a 87.5 tooth piece of scrap.
3b.jpg

Last edited:
Third time's a charm! Instead of trying to cut to the correct measured depth I decided it was time to surrender and used Dykem. Cheating a bit, but as soon as the last hint of purple is gone the tooth form is completed.
84a.jpg

This yielded a very slightly different diameter than expected, but I can address any depthing issues with a bushing if necessary. While it was still on the arbor I decided to cut the recess for the barrel.
84b.jpg

Barrel is complete. And only the great wheel required more than one try.
complete1.jpg

I reused the arbor and cap as this is a movement with some cool history. The cap snaps in nicely, and the end shake on the arbor is perfect! The finish matches the other barrel or I would polish it more.
Complete2.jpg

IT FITS!!
yippee.jpg
I haven't yet made a depthing tool (in my defense I've never needed one until now) so I wasn't sure it was going to work. Theoretically with the correct number of teeth of the correct form it HAS to fit, but I was really holding my breath.

Back