Mitutoyo 24" (600mm) Height Gauge

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys,

I got this a couple of months ago, and it's a great bit of kit. It was a steal on eBay... But since getting it, I've realised its quite a bit taller than I need. With it sat on my surface plate, the pillars that the read head runs up and down on hit the roof of the shop, depending on where you park it.

shop_2_corner.jpg

Here it is... And that's as far back as it'll go when the plate cover is on.

Now - this may sound like complete blasphemy, and it's only an idea... But would it be feasible to cut 6 inches from the top of the gauge, giving it overall height of 18? I'm guessing that if it is possible, I'd need to remove the cap on the, top cut the rods (without bending or marring them) and then replace it.

I can see that the top cap is held on with set screws. Removing them was easy - but it would app3ar that the cap is press fitted on as well, as it certainly doesn't want to come off.

I obviously don't want to bugger it up. And if the risk is to great, I'll live wth it as it is. This is more of a convenience thing.

Thanks

Jason

shop_2_corner.jpg

shop_2_corner.jpg

shop_2_corner.jpg

shop_2_corner.jpg

shop_2_corner.jpg

What brand is it? Man that thing is huge! I would think twice (or even more) before cutting it down. Raise the ceiling! Anything!
The preceding is just the opinion of a worn out old man. But he thinks it is correct. ;)

CHuck the grumpy old guy

How about moving the surface plate to where the ceiling is taller? That is a really tall height gage for that size surface plate. You must do a lot of tall but skinny work! 8^)

I have a 18x24x4" AA surface plate and a 12" Starrett vernier height gage, and I am very happy with what I have. So far I have never wished for anything taller, and have never needed to change the battery...

Offer it to someone on the HM. I’m sure somebody would take you up on it and find room in their shop. Then you can get a shorter one for yourself.

The top cap is glued on the front post and the rear post is left to the setscrews for retention for calibration purposes. Loosening the rear screws as you mist have probably already blew the cal. You might as well heat the cap to soften the glue and have your way with it now then reattach the cap and figure out how to tecalibrate it.

I would have traded you an 18" for it. As it is, I have a bi-directional touch probe that should fit that thing that I never use if you end up keeping it.

Well, I've bit the bullet. It's now 6 inches shorter. And can still play the piano.:)

I heated the end cap and that did soften the glue, and it popped off easily. I then cut the rods on the band saw, ensuring the rods where prevented from flexing in by using some parallels between them.

Once they been cut, it was a quick debur, clean out of the top cap and then it was put back on with some locktite

Height_mod3.jpe
Height_mod4.jpe

Checked with my gauge blocks - it's all still dead on. Result.

Height_mod3.jpe

Height_mod3.jpe

Height_mod4.jpe

Height_mod4.jpe

Height_mod3.jpe

Height_mod4.jpe

Height_mod3.jpe

Height_mod4.jpe

Height_mod3.jpe

Height_mod4.jpe

Last edited:
Back