Mitutoyo 982 537 1 dro display help

Parlo

Registered
Registered
Does anyone know if there is a startup procedure for a Mitutoyo 982 537 1 dro display. Mine has been off for a while and I noe only get a row of zeroes, should I just leave it and hope the battery charges or is there a startup sequence for the buttons?

There may be a small coin cell inside which needs to be replaced- take a look
If it's very old it may have an Eprom memory, they can self-erase after a long period (usually 20 years or more)
Not much hope if that's the case
Take a close up picture of the inside- will try to advise
-Mark

There may be a small coin cell inside which needs to be replaced- take a look
If it's very old it may have an Eprom memory, they can self-erase after a long period (usually 20 years or more)
Not much hope if that's the case
Take a close up picture of the inside- will try to advise
-Mark
Thanks Mark.

I left it on for a few hours and it started working, I suspect the batttery needed charging or I got lucky.

My 982-537 (two axis) has two 'AA' batteries inside. There is a battery indicator that comes on when they are low/dead/missing so I don't think this issue is related.
You might have a damaged solder joint or something that 'fixed' itself as things warmed up, but in the case of a bad joint it's not really fixed of course and you'll see it again.

As long as the problem stays gone I wouldn't do anything, but if the problem does recur I'd open the box and check the board for broken / cracked solder joints. If you have good eyes that's often better than high magnification - the shallow depth of field that accompanies magnification can obscure joints that are lifting. You can also try a cold spray or even canned air to selectively chill parts of the board, under power, to see if you can make the problem recur.

GsT

Back