Mitutoyo clone question

slow-poke

Registered
Registered
I imagine near everyone is aware of the cloned Mitutoyo 6” calipers, my question is have they also cloned the 8” calipers or are they a safe bet to order on eBay and get a genuine Mitutoyo?

Not sure, but the way I see it, if the price is significantly cheaper than the reputable tool dealers, it's probably fake.

I have a set of older (real) Mitutoyo calipers, but bought a newer set recently from eBay to have a metric set at a different bench. It was clearly a fake—rough, sloppily engraved, buggered gib screws, Philips (instead of JIS) screws, and serial numbers that didn’t match. One inside jaw was apparently calibrated using a Big Hammer. It’s actually reasonably accurate, but too rough to use one-handed. eBay gave me my money back, but there was no return address provided to eBay or me and the seller has vanished. I’ll grind the name off and throw it in the road box.

Rick “learning again: buy the seller” Denney

Every one of those cheap knock-offs the con artist sells encourages him to continue pumping garbage out. Buy the real stuff; pay once cry once.

The price difference is the first clue as others have said, I just checked the price in Canadian $ and wow it is not cheap, $419:

Or this one for $289

The Mitutoyo 150mm Vernier caliper (540-312) is under a hundred bucks from authorized dealers. Zoro has them for $86 and MSC for $97. The rip-off I bought was $40–not enough less to be out of the realm of possible discounts for someone blowing out old stock.

I’m not usually taken in by fakes, but this time I was. Hence my warning—the too-good-to-be-true boundary isn’t always that obvious.

Rick “until it’s in your hands-then it’s obvious” Denney

The Mitutoyo 150mm Vernier caliper (540-312) is under a hundred bucks from authorized dealers.
For you - yes. In Canada, we pay just about double that. To buy from the US, with currency conversion, shipping and border duties, it works out to be much the same as buying here - about double what you pay.

Back