Mitutoyo Dial Caliper

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have just been given the above dial caliper.
It has both a metric and imperial scale but the dial is only imperial.
Unfortunately the dial jumps at about the 15mm mark when opening.
Its reasonably consistent in the jump but it doesnt always jump when closing the jaws.
I guess what I want to know is if its worth attempting to strip and clean it myself or send it to the pros to do at some cost.
I very rarely work in imperial measurements so its not something I must have just that it seems an awful waste to junk it.

Look carefully at the rack the gear rides on where the needle jumps. A chip may have gotten caught in a tooth. Chips in the teeth of the rack are usually why the needle will jump.

I've had a look there Bill but couldnt see anything.
I will have to get the 10x lens out for a better look.

I use a fine sewing needle to clear the chips out of the rack. They can be almost impossible to see but I note the location of the dial when the needle jumps and clean the teeth around that location. I drag the needle from the inside to the outside of the rack which usually clears the problem.

Dial calipers are definitely not IP67 rated. Cleaning the rack is one of the chores that I don't miss having gone to electronic calipers.

Thanks guys, looks like I can give it a go.
I will let you know the outcome.

Look carefully at the rack the gear rides on where the needle jumps. A chip may have gotten caught in a tooth. Chips in the teeth of the rack are usually why the needle will jump.
Also look for the needle dragging .

Back