Mitutoyo Dial Indicator Noob Question

JPower6210

Registered
Registered
Hi All- I have a few Mitutoyo Dial Indicators that have a cap on top covering a knurled screw. So here is my dumb question of the day...(or at least one of them). What is that screw used for? Thanks!

JP

I assume you mean to set your zero and lock the dial right? Mits.jpg In this picture, isn't that the function of the lock screw at the 1:00 position? Under the cap at the top there is another screw- that is the one I am trying to figure out. Thanks-

In an inspection environment it's used to pick up the dial point

Many indicators have a knurled knob used to retract the stylus and another to secure the bezel in position.
I use a 3" dial Mitutoyo indicator for large work, the large dial also helps if like myself you have old failing eyeballs.
An excellent tool.

I've got a couple of 'vintage' 3" DIs. Want to put them to use, problem is that the crystals are 'yellowed'. :(
Need to figure out how to fix 'em up.

Haven't tried it yet, but apparently tooth paste buffs the plastic crystals up nice.

Greg

I've got a couple of 'vintage' 3" DIs. Want to put them to use, problem is that the crystals are 'yellowed'. :(
Need to figure out how to fix 'em up.
Yellowed crystals do not effect function
Indicators are cheap compared to other measuring tools so I just buy new ones.
I do not recommend this approach for high end tooling, gauge blocks, gauge pins, bore gauges, internal micrometers, external micrometers above 10", very small bore gauges, surface finish testers, hardness gauges and so on.
This indicator was purchased this year from MSC for $150.00, this is dirt cheap as far a metrology equipment goes.
I recently bought a new Tesa indicator to replace the old Mitutoyo one that worked well for 25 years, it stopped functioning so I gave it to another member here. The crystal was very yellowed but did not effect its use, buck up and live with it or buy a new one.

Back