Mitutoyo Dial Indicator Noob Question

Yellowed crystals do not effect function
Indicators are cheap compared to other measuring tools so I just buy new ones.
I do not recommend this approach for high end tooling, gauge blocks, gauge pins, bore gauges, internal micrometers, external micrometers above 10", very small bore gauges, surface finish testers, hardness gauges and so on.
This indicator was purchased this year from MSC for $150.00, this is dirt cheap as far a metrology equipment goes.
I recently bought a new Tesa indicator to replace the old Mitutoyo one that worked well for 25 years, it stopped functioning so I gave it to another member here. The crystal was very yellowed but did not effect its use, buck up and live with it or buy a new one.

Ah, that's not yellowed, this is yellowed & grimy...
One is a Starrett, the other a Federal. Both are .0001"

1222181949.jpg

I think Keith Rucker on Youtube has mentioned a shop that reconditions dial indicators and such. Does anybody have contact information? I have an old Mercer DI that might be worth having fixed up.

Craig

I think Keith Rucker on Youtube has mentioned a shop that reconditions dial indicators and such. Does anybody have contact information? I have an old Mercer DI that might be worth having fixed up.

Craig

In a 12/2016 video, YouTube creator Adam Booth talked about the guy who does his repairs :

"I also have some repaired tools that has come in from M.R. Tool Repair. Mark is an excellent craftsman when it comes to precision instrument repairs. Give him a try, you will be pleased!"

Mark Ratkowski
M. R. TOOL REPAIR
269 Lancaster Drive
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
mrtool2010@hotmail.com

HTH, Bill

Last edited:
There is a company called Long Island Indicator that service/repair indicators. I'm not sure whether that's the one keith mentioned but I've heard good things about them and I think they're fairly cheap.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

In a 12/2016 video, YouTube creator Adam Booth talked about the guy who does his repairs :

"I also have some repaired tools that has come in from M.R. Tool Repair. Mark is an excellent craftsman when it comes to precision instrument repairs. Give him a try, you will be pleased!"

Mark Ratkowski
M. R. TOOL REPAIR
269 Lancaster Drive
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
mrtool2010@hotmail.com
That's it! I thought the guy's name might be Mark.

Thanks,

Craig

Ah, that's not yellowed, this is yellowed & grimy...

Assuming all the grime is on the outside, have you given any thought to sanding? I was able to repair a scuffed dial indicator face using 1200, 1500, then 2000 grit paper. It wasn't perfect (probably need 4000 grit to make it all polished and smooth) but it was certainly readable.

Assuming all the grime is on the outside, have you given any thought to sanding? I was able to repair a scuffed dial indicator face using 1200, 1500, then 2000 grit paper. It wasn't perfect (probably need 4000 grit to make it all polished and smooth) but it was certainly readable.
I'll give that a shot. I was also thinking of 'headlight lens restorer' after I took the pictures last night.

I have used Mark to repair several of my indicators. He does great work.

Fwiw, replacing the crystal ought to be a simple repair, if you have something to press the replacement crystal into place.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Starrett restores all of their branded equipment. I got a quote of $90 to restore my yellowed and dirty DI. Since i have an iGaging one, I decided to hold off on getting it restored. In this case, I think the schmutz is all inside, from kerosene fumes in the old basement shop it came from. But, it appears to work.
Tim

Back