Mitutoyo MyCal caliper adjustment

Groundhog

Registered
Registered
A year or more back I bought a set of Mitutoyo "MyCal Series 700" calipers. Every time I turn them on they read 0.001" (instead of 0.000"). Nothing I do seems to get rid of the initial 1/1000th of an inch. Nothing in the users "manual" except what to do if you swallow the battery. :grin:
I know I can always press the "Zero" button for a few seconds, but that is enough of a hassle that I just end up grabbing my HF calipers for ease of use. It is a shame not to be using these more.
Any suggestions on how to calibrate this caliper?

I suggest pressing the "Zero" button, if that is to much work bin it.
Calipers are excellent for loose measurements +- .003" or so, do not expect such a simple inexpensive tool to be accurate at sub .001 dimensions, not going to work well.

I suspect that when digital calipers first incorporated the .0005 scale it drove hobbyists mad.

I just looked this caliper up on Amazon and somebody asked the same question. The following is what Travers tool answered.

"Reset the Origin with the Black button on the top right of the face. Use a pen to push it in while it is in the closed position if you are having trouble.
By Travers Tool Co., Inc"

I suggest pressing the "Zero" button, if that is to much work bin it.
Calipers are excellent for loose measurements +- .003" or so, do not expect such a simple inexpensive tool to be accurate at sub .001 dimensions, not going to work well.

I suspect that when digital calipers first incorporated the .0005 scale it drove hobbyists mad.

The Zero button takes 3 or 4 seconds to reset the display. Pressing a button that long before each new measurement series is taken IS too much "work" for a $100+ caliper.
Try this yourself; Each time you turn on your caliper imagine having to press a button for 3 seconds before you can use it. It won't take long to want to fix that problem.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Are you certain they are genuine Mitutoyo? These are some of the most "copied" fakes out there. Your comment about the length of time to reset to zero and not maintaining zero is a hint. You have to be mighty careful where you buy them. Recently discussed on another thread here, buy them from authorized dealers only. For example, there have been fake ones sold via Amazon through other sellers other than Amazon itself.

2. Have you talked to Mitutoyo customer service? They are really helpful in my experience. (1-888-648-8869)

3. I have Mitutoyos and they are spot on accurate when used properly. One problem I do run into is dirt on the jaws, they will pick up minute stuff and measure it! I have learned to wipe them down before zeroing or assuring zero.

Badspellar -> I tried the black button when I first got them (over a year ago, maybe more than 2 years?). It didn't work then and doesn't now either! Thanks for the suggestion though.

Alan,
No, I'm not certain they are genuine. How do you know? I think I bought them from Enco back when. If they are a copy it is a really good copy. They are silky smooth and I haven't replaced the battery for over a year. An internet search for fake Mitutoyo calipers doesn't turn up anything for the series 700 calipers. Mostly series 500 calipers.

Next step is to contact Mitutoyo I guess. Thanks for the number.

I always wipe caliper jaws before use. Even my HF treasures. (actually I have a 6" HF caliper that I have had for 5 or 6 years. You will have to pry them from my cold dead hands if you want them)!

Mike, a tell tale is that the fake ones eat batteries quickly so yours is doing well in that regard.

Another indicator is the display is usually different than that of genuine Mity.

Another tell tale that I have read about is that the "origin" button doesn't work or works instantaneously. I think you must hold them down for a couple of seconds. That may be the trouble with yours that you are not holding it down long enough??

Alan,
My display is very clear and bright. Fake or not I really like that!
It doesn't have an "Origin" button. That has been a question since I bought it. If I remember right the instructions that came with it refered to the "Origin" button and I wondered about that. (those instructions should be somewhere around here?) The upper right (black) button is labeled "Init". I've tried holding it for a loooong time, with the caliper both on and off, every thing I can thing of.
I'll call the number you gave me Monday. They should be able to at least tell me (via serial number) if it is real.
All in all it is a very nice caliper. Just has the one glitch.

The Zero button takes 3 or 4 seconds to reset the display. Pressing a button that long before each new measurement series is taken IS too much "work" for a $100+ caliper.
Try this yourself; Each time you turn on your caliper imagine having to press a button for 3 seconds before you can use it. It won't take long to want to fix that problem.
I understand this, however .001" is well within that tools ability to measure anything, ignore an aberration that small, I realize that this will be difficult if not impossible for you to do. I only use calipers for checking stock or work that is +- .005" which is well within what such a tool will do.

I have worked full time in machine shops for 30 years.
I prefer dials because they are unaffected by coolant, IP 65 digitals are fairly impervious as well yet cost a good deal more (this may no longer be true).

Currently have 6 Mitutoyo calipers 4 of which I haven't used in years, replace them every other year or so as they are one of the least expensive tools you will ever buy.

Wreck,
All your points are well taken and valid. However, if I can adjust these (old but never used) calipers I would like to do so.

Do you have to reset zero each time you use one of your 6 sets of calipers?

I don't have 6 sets of calipers, let alone 6 Mitutoyos - I have 1 Mitutoyo and 1 HF. I would like the Mitutoyo to work as good as the HF.

Back