Mitutoyo MyCal caliper adjustment

Alan,
I will call. There can only be 3 outcomes; 1) it's fake, 2) they can help, 3) that's the way it is.
1 out of 3 isn't all bad!! :p
Thanks all - I'm done with this. I will post the results from Mitutoyo.

PS - that's a nice set of gauge blocks.

I had this problem with the Mitutoyo caliper display, turns out that the jaws were slightly magnetized. I ran it through a demag and all is well.
Another thing you can check is the gib adjustment screw. Make sure it's not too tight or loose. There are two on top of the display.

Emilio - jaws don't seem to be magnetized. At least they don't attract any ferrous metals.
I hate to mess with the gibs. The action is so smooth I could only mess it up, besides the screws are still sealed.
I think I will wait until I talk to Mitutoyo on Monday. I've had these (mostly unused) for a couple of years so a few more days shouldn't hurt too bad!

I always wipe caliper jaws before use. Even my HF treasures. (actually I have a 6" HF caliper that I have had for 5 or 6 years. You will have to pry them from my cold dead hands if you want them)!
I have them, too, Mike. They are damn good calipers. I got another one near the same time, they were like $10, -25% coupon, an extra freebie as well, and mine are used every day and are still on the same battery. A spare battery also came with them. I may never get to find out if the second one is as good as the first one has worked out. Absolutely zero issues, good calipers.

Bob,
Those would be the ones. They sit on my desk for cad/cam work and go in my pocket when I head to the shop. I'd be lost without them.

The only Mitutoyo calipers I would buy new today, are the 500 series digitals. The real ones of course, not the fakes.
If the MyCal has a bar code or QR code, Mitutoyo can tell you more about the set that was purchased. Mitutoyo is using the QR code more and more. The Chinese are mercilessly copying a lot of Mit gages. If the problem persists, I would just send them back or warranty them.

A year or more back I bought a set of Mitutoyo "MyCal Series 700" calipers. Every time I turn them on they read 0.001" (instead of 0.000"). Nothing I do seems to get rid of the initial 1/1000th of an inch. Nothing in the users "manual" except what to do if you swallow the battery. :grin:
I know I can always press the "Zero" button for a few seconds, but that is enough of a hassle that I just end up grabbing my HF calipers for ease of use. It is a shame not to be using these more.
Any suggestions on how to calibrate this caliper?

Where did you buy them. There are a lot of knock off Mit calipers. If you bought from an unproven vendor, then you may have a fake. If you bought from a known dealer, than you might contact Mitutoyo and find out how to rectify the situation.

Not knowing the 700 series I just looked it up. Accuracy for the 700 is only .005 and resolution is .001 so not close to the 500 series
MyCal-Lite Series 700-Digital for DIY
Series 700

FEATURES

• The “MyCAL-Lite” is an ideal measuring tool for DIY.
  • The LCD screen allows error-free readout of measurements.
  • With depth measuring bar.
Technical Data

Accuracy: Refer to the list of specifications.
Resolution:.001"/0.1mm
Display: LCD
Length standard: Electrostatic capacitance type linear encoder
Max. Response speed: 1800mm/s
Battery: SR44 (1 pc.), 938882
Battery life*: Approx. 2 years under normal use

Function

Zero-setting, Power on/off
Alarm: Low voltage, Counting value composition error

Parts Break Down

700-113-10.jpg

Dimensions.jpg

Inch/Metric
Order Number Image Range Accuracy Mass (g)
700-113-10camera.gif 0-6in 0-150mm .005in 0.2mm150
700-123-10camera.gif 0-8in 0-200mm .005in 0.2mm170
Pages: 1

The 573 is, much more accurate and higher resolution. So the 700 series might be well within range.

Inch/MetricMetric
Order Number Image RangeLCD Resolution Accuracy Mass (g)
573-281-30camera.gif 0-4in 0-100mm .0005in 0.01mm .001213
573-282-30- 0-6in 0-150mm .0005in 0.01mm .001233
Pages: 1

Last edited:
So woodchucker, are you trying to shame me because I don't have the best like you do? If you bothered to read the posts before you started typing you would know where I bought them and that I plan on contacting Mitutoyo tomorrow.

All I wanted to know is how to set the initial reading to zero.

I said it earlier. I'm done with this post.

A couple of people are genuinely trying to help, but a few are really making me feel bad by showing their ability (read wealth) to have the best compared to my lowly ability to spend several hundred dollars for a set of calipers. I was just asking for help, not belittlement.

Thank those of you who have offered positive ideas.

Moderators, you can remove this entire post.

I don't have one. I have an Igaging unit, that I like. I prefer a Mic for precision. I was saying based on the accuracy that it might be doing what is within range of it's accuracy. .005 is the accuracy, so .001 off of 0 is still within it's accuracy. That's all I was saying.
I just looked it up to understand the 700. I thought it would be a better unit than the 500 based on the higher series #. Turns out it is not.
HF has a stainless that you like and a glass filled unit. The glass filled unit is not accurate or does it have high precision, so it's important to understand both the accuracy (repeatablity) and precision (resolution) .001 .01 .0005..

sorry if I gave the impression I was belittiling your choice, I was just pointing out the difference. I think we assume .001 accuracy and what it means. .005 means that it will repeat to with in 5 thousandths, not 1 thousandth.

Back