Mitutoyo MyCal caliper adjustment

woodchucker,
I understand what I have. I just want it to start out at zero. It doesn't help for accurate measurements when the device does not start out at zero. I don't like having to press "zero" for 3 to 5 seconds every time I turn the calipers on - just lazy I guess.

The HF calipers that I like haven't been available for 5 or 6 years. All the rest that I've seen are just that - HF quality.
I have some older Igaging electronic mics (they eat batteries like crazy), but not calipers.

I too use micrometers for precision.

Last edited:
I prefer dial and vernier calipers. The digital are good second calipers to have on hand. I like 6" and 8" for the stuff I do.
I have an older model Mitutoyo 500 series, 8", with SPC data out. This caliper is smooth and super accurate., but I bought a 6" ETalon dial.
Fast, accurate and at 6", the right size for most of my work. The new Mitutoyo 500 digitals are on sale too.

Please people.

I know what I have.
What I have is good enough quality, accuracy, precision, etc. for what I', doing.
I like what I have.

All I want is for the damn things to start out at zero.

Groundhoug,

I know this don't help your situation, but try this. If you have any mic standards, like a 1", 2", 3", or gage blocks. Check your measurements at different intervals and see if they measure 1.001", 2.001" or any other measurement with an additional .001". If they measure right on with mic standards or gage blocks, forget that it reads .001" at start. Now, if they measure at different intervals with an additional .001", then you have a real problem.
In most industry, in their QA programs, calipers are checked at different intervals with gage blocks or other standards for qualifying them for service. Not necessarily qualified at zero. Just another thought to check to see if you really have a problem with the calipers. Yeah, we all like for our calipers to zero out at start, sometimes we don't always get what we want. But give this a try and let us know the outcome.

4gsr
The only standards I have are the 1 and 2 inch that came with my mics. Results;
starting with display reading 0.001 at start up:
1" standard reads 1.001
2" standard reads 2.001
starting with display set to zero:
1" standard reads 1.000
2" standard reads 2.000

All I was asking at the start of this post was; "Any suggestions on how to calibrate this caliper?"
Should be an easy YES (here is how), NO or I DON'T KNOW.

"Yeah, we all like for our calipers to zero out at start, sometimes we don't always get what we want" does not address the problem nor does it reflect the quality that is expected from a Mitutoyo caliper regardless of series or model. If you do not know how to adjust the caliper just say so. Do not tell me I need to accept lesser standards than others accept.

FIXED!!!!!!!

I called the Mitutoyo number Alan H provided. The guy there walked me through several steps but nada. But he didn't give up (said it shouldn't do that). Consulted several manuals which said to hold the "Origin" button down. Mine Has an "Init" button instead but the same idea. Manual says to use a pen to push the button. Push, push, hold & push. Nothing.
He was getting ready to give me return instructions when I tried holding the button with a paperclip. That seems to have fixed it. The pen tip is a lot smaller than the black button so it looks to be small enough. Apparently it is not small enough!
It reads 0.000 every time it is turned on.

Thanks Alan! :cheer:

Glad they were able to help you.

I have called them twice on two different issues and was satisfied by their response both times. Like everyone, I like good customer service.

Glad you got it fixed.

Now, does it read correctly when using the mic standards to check by?

My older MTI used to loose about .006" per inch. After sitting idle for about 4 years without a battery, installed with a new battery. It now reads right on.
Go figure.

4gsr,
They start right, read right. The battery is at least a year old but probably several.
and . . . I'm fat and happy! :fat:

Wreck,
All your points are well taken and valid. However, if I can adjust these (old but never used) calipers I would like to do so.

Do you have to reset zero each time you use one of your 6 sets of calipers?

I don't have 6 sets of calipers, let alone 6 Mitutoyos - I have 1 Mitutoyo and 1 HF. I would like the Mitutoyo to work as good as the HF.
On the rare occasion that I use the digital ones I just reset them to 0.0 when closed, I do have 2 absolute 6" calipers that require a reset as you mentioned, however if they are within .002 when started I consider this more then sufficient for such a tool. You can spend the rest of your life dicking around looking for numbers that repeat with a tool that won't, life is to short for this kind of thing. A better choice of tool for you would be any Mit , Starrett, Etalon Etc. dial caliper, they do not hunt tenths like digitals which appears to drive hobbyists nuts.
I find these extremely durable and they cost $150.00 or less, I replace them every year or so, well worth the price.
Mitutoyo 8" dial caliper. This is a spare that I keep at home at the moment.

i-N2KWxL6.jpg

Back