Mitutoyo Quill Dro Questions

Sandia

Active User
Registered
I was wondering if anyone has installed one on their mill. I have an Acer mill and would like to install one on mine, but have some questions:

1. Will the dro clear the fine feed wheel
2. Do you still have access to the depth stop.
3. Any other pertinent information.

Did a search but couldn't find anything.

Thanks, Bob

I have a Mitu DRO scale mounted on my mill for the quill, but my mill is not a BP/clone. :lmao:

As I don't have a BP with one mounted so I can not say for sure but on the ones I have seen the fine feed hand wheel does clear & is still useable. But the DRO does cover most of the depth. The depth stop might still be able to be used but it looks like it would be a pain, especially if you have big fingers.

If the depth stop use is that important (it would be to me), if I had a BP/clone, I would just get the scale & make my own mounting brackets as some people do. I would make the brackets longer so the DRO would sit further to the right to allow more access to the depth stop.

I say more because if you go too far to the right you will cover the quill lock & bolts for angle/tramming the head. But you could come up with a medium or avoid that depending on how the brackets are made for placement.

I was wondering if anyone has installed one on their mill. I have an Acer mill and would like to install one on mine, but have some questions:

Thanks, Bob

Hi Bob, For what it's worth I made a quill DRO for my mini mill using a cheap car tyre tread depth guage. It is accurate to 0.01mm. Here are a couple of photos. The tyre guage is modified by gluing a magnetic mounting for support and fixing a tiny magnet to the probe.
Regards
P1010026.JPG1-P1010024.JPG

P1010026.JPG 1-P1010024.JPG

I have a Mitu DRO scale mounted on my mill for the quill, but my mill is not a BP/clone. :lmao:

As I don't have a BP with one mounted so I can not say for sure but on the ones I have seen the fine feed hand wheel does clear & is still useable. But the DRO does cover most of the depth. The depth stop might still be able to be used but it looks like it would be a pain, especially if you have big fingers.

If the depth stop use is that important (it would be to me), if I had a BP/clone, I would just get the scale & make my own mounting brackets as some people do. I would make the brackets longer so the DRO would sit further to the right to allow more access to the depth stop.

I say more because if you go too far to the right you will cover the quill lock & bolts for angle/tramming the head. But you could come up with a medium or avoid that depending on how the brackets are made for placement.

Thanks darkzero, that is kinda what I figured. I have a dro on the knee but a dro on the quill would really be handy often. The depth stop is a must for me as well, especially when using the power down feed. I appreciate the feed back, now to find one at a decent price.

Bob

I appreciate the feed back, now to find one at a decent price.

Bob

No problem Bob. You'll love the Mitu if you get one. I love all my Mitus. The Mitu quill scales are expensive but worth it IMO. Because of my setup I needed an 8" (where in your case a 5"-6" would be sufficient) which costs $300 from Enco. Waited for a 20% off + free shipping sale day to get mine. If you can't wait for one of those days, take a look at Neimic.net, they have excellent prices, I have purchased from them too.

Mine is mounted on a RF45 style mill. But when time comes for a BP/clone, that Mitu will be going right on the new mill too.

Img_0284.jpg

Img_0284.jpg

Img_0284.jpg

I don't have one of the Mitutoyo dedicated DRO scales, I have a generic one from Ebay and a converted digital depth gauge on my Bridgeports. I could be wrong (having never bought one) but I think that you have to figure out how to mount them anyway right?

Here's my generic:

DSCF6821_zps7052970a.jpg

And my depth gauge:

DSCF6822_zpsbac18df8.jpg

Of course the numbers on the depth gauge are sideways, but honestly, it doesn't matter to me at all. Mounting them off to the side makes it easier to use the educated nut and they clear the handwheels.

DSCF6821_zps7052970a.jpg

DSCF6822_zpsbac18df8.jpg

DSCF6821_zps7052970a.jpg

DSCF6822_zpsbac18df8.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks, Bob

Hi Bob,

Here are a couple pics of my BP Series 1 with a quill mounted Acu-Rite 3 axis DRO. I milled a piece of 3/8" aluminum plate for the bracket as 1/4" had some play in it. Bridgeport did not leave a lot of meat to sit on the aligning faces and the plate would rock back on the bottom one. I also milled the block that attaches to the the quill stop knob, Acu-Right gives a nice how-to install a scale to the quill and that was how I designed mine. All parts work such as the feed feverse knob and manual feed fandwheel, micrometer nut & the quill feed handle. This was a much needed addition for me, and I think a more accurate read for depth measurements than the knee adjustment, just my 2 cents.
Scale2.jpgScale1.jpg
I hope this helps. Also, I don't know what happened with the pics but everything is square and aligned. The pics make it look like things are cut on an angle and the square is mis-aligned. They are all running true and square to each other. All the best on your install.

Scale1.jpg Scale2.jpg

atlasdc said:
I don't know what happened with the pics but everything is square and aligned. The pics make it look like things are cut on an angle and the square is mis-aligned. They are all running true and square to each other.

Fixed it for you.

Back