Mixing measurement systems, bad idea, or really bad idea?

.004" = 0.1mm, .040" = 1.0mm near enough for rough stuff.
Metric to Imperial, ÷ 25•4.
Imperial to Metric, × 25•4.
Learned both, switch as needed, sometimes count apples an' oranges together, an' camouflage 'em so's ya canny tell wots wot.

Last edited:
We use both everyday. Metric is way better in my opinion. Less mistakes and more accurate.
Cheers
Martin

Once you get used to it metric is much easier and quicker, I learned in imperial until I was about 20 then I had to learn metric now I'm ambidextrous and apply work in both and easily jump from one to the other.
Likewise, learnt in Imperial then all school exams and apprenticeship was in both as the changeover happened. Happy to work in either but still find Imperial easier and quicker for some things fractions for example.

Um, not really an issue IMHO. The fact that this is your hobby means you have learned to measure things, buy a cheap digital caliper if you don't want to do the math.

John

Nothing wrong with using metric, just be careful using conversion, better to stick to one system or the other on a given project. Conversion provides one more place to introduce error.

USA will certainly change to metric in the near future. All other english speaking countries have changed.

Not true the UK still measures speed and distance using the mile, beer, cider and milk can still be sold by pints, acres are used for land measurement, and weight in pounds is still used for some applications. Canada still uses Imperial or US Customary Units for certain applications like construction. Canada has a particularly awkward case where it uses Imperial in some applications and US Customary in others (they are not the same thing).

Very few countries have truly gone 100% metric. Even the French who invented the silly thing continue to use the Birmingham gauge to measure hypodermic needles, because that is what the world wide medical community have adopted as a standard (the metric system gave awkward measurements in that use).
Other common non-metric measurements used world wide include Fahrenheit for cooking, psi for tire pressure, pixels / dots per inch for video screens and printing, thread count threads per inch is widely used for textiles, BTUs are often used in metric countries as a measure for HVAC systems.

Conversely it is a myth that the US is a non-metric country, it has recognized and approved the metric system as a legal system of weights and measures since 1866. US Customary Units (not the Imperial system which is British) have been defined by metric units since 1893. Since 1968 packaged goods must be labeled with both customary units and metric units.

Where the US differs is that it has not imposed the use of the metric system, only encouraged its use and allows industries to adopt it naturally. It is highly used in science, and technology, the automotive and aerospace industries, little used in construction. Mixed in most other areas as the market demands.

I prefer to work with one system but I'm still capable of working with both if the project leaves me no choice.
I have a conversion chart pinned on my task bar(on my computer), use it to verify what I can not visualize, it is extremely handy.

I usually do all my designs in inch measure. My tooling is almost all inch measure. Imperial fasteners are more common and less expensive. Raw materials are most easily found in inch sizes.

However, if needed, I can and will use metric measure. One project that I had was drilling 96 holes in an 8 x 12 array. The holes were on 9mm centers. Now, I could have converted all the coordinates to inches and dialed in each hole but it was far easier to switch the DRO to metric and just increment by 9.00mm.

i jump between metric and imperial measurements as necessary, sometimes on the same project.
i find that to be a strength.
i have metric and imperial DTI's, drop indicators, calipers, 1-2-3 blocks, and mic's.
all of them get used :grin:

I use both frequently. If I'm making a replacement part that was originally metric or something that has metric measurements I do too. It really doesn't make any difference and long as the end result is the "size" you want... all of my digital calipers and tape measures have both anyway. I frequently use Autodesk Inventor as my go to cad especially for 3d parts. The great thing about it is I can mix and enter any dimension in mm, inch, feet, fraction, decimal ( 1.05 in or 23.6 mm, 1/32 in) etc., and it simply dimensions it correctly. Pretty nifty

Last edited:
I spent over 10 years living in Europe, where I learned what Celsius temperatures feel like, how far kilometers are to walk, and to resolve without conversion whether I need a pack of 40mm screws or 50mm screws. The process for figuring out how many 20kg sacks of concrete you need for 10qm at 100mm pour is the same as it is for 50lb bags per cubic yard. Liters per 100km in fuel gives better resolution than mpg stats. Ambidextrous, bilingual, whatever it is it's an added ability that I value.

Back