mla tee slot cross slide

That’s a great idea! I’ll use a fly cutter for the dovetail. Thanks! I don’t have a collet block, or 5c collets. I do have an ER32 collet of the right size I think. I could probably turn a collet block on the lathe. I feel like I’m making progress already! Thanks again!

jwmay the dovetail has to be cut with a 60 degree dovetail cutter or on a shaper......to mill it square you can fly cut it .......but the hss tool bit will get dull quick because of the sand in the casting on the outer layer .........go to shars tool and look up their 60 degree dovetail cutter i beleive it shows a spec on the clearances that you will need to make your cutter work right ...... also you could hold it in a vee block in the vice and take small cuts till you get to diameter ..................Eric.........

My shaper only has a 7” stroke, so that’s probably out. Although I imagine with careful setups, it could be managed. There are articles here about using a fly cutter for dovetails, so I guess that’s possible too. I did check my sparse collection of ER32 collets, and found one that may work. And I’ve got a suitable squarish block of metal to try to make a collet block from. Although at 20 dollars for one already made, I’m sure I’m not being efficient.

yeah i hear you sometimes its cheaper to buy the tooling than make it .......banggood sells an er32 collet block ...........i have it but haven't used it yet ....i have the 5c collet blocks .........

jwmay i still havent started mine .........business at my shop has picked up 100 % ......if you can keep posting about it .........i will really like to see the finished part .......thanks for posting that you started ...........Eric

Setting up to mill the slots. Pre traveled to every slot, and found a discrepancy I can’t reconcile yet. It seems like I’ve got 3 slots that’ll land correctly starting from the left and three that’ll land correctly starting from the right. I’m assuming it’s something I’m doing wrong. I’ve got more faith in the casting than in my skill.

Attachments

• A4E1454F-43BD-46C1-953C-8CEEE09E4846.jpeg
    A4E1454F-43BD-46C1-953C-8CEEE09E4846.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 50

This might be a very short and boring video of some work. Not really sure what I’m doing with YT.

Any experts out there see a glaring error, feel free to advise me of it. I can see some less than professional things myself.

I did one for my Atlas lathe, when I sold the lathe,the guy who bought it, threw the MLA piece in the pile for the scrapper. I thought it was a good product and it was a good project.

Back