[Newbie] Mobile Base for 3 in 1 Grizzly G0516

JoeFL77

Registered
Registered
Hello,
I am new to metal machining trying to figure out if this is possible.

I have a used Grizzly G0516 3 in 1 that I would like to put on a mobile base to move occasionally on my concrete shop floor. I don’t think I will need very, very precision all the time and will only move it about occasionally.

The Grizzly G0516 is 390 pounds and 44 X 23.

I have been reading about leveling. Also, I am not sure how much a machine of this size will twist if the base twists or the weight will cause the twist. Can a base be made rigid enough to resist twist and use shims under the casters or attach the casters in such a way that the height is adjustable. The floor should be fairly level so the adjust should be no more than ¼ inch.

I saw this in youtube and it look fairly strong because of all the box structures.

I have also thought of welding a stand using square tubing in a ladder fashion to resist twist.

I will also separate the vertical mill and attach it to the large table from thelittlemachineshop. Possibly adding to the same base or building a separate base.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe W

Building ladder style won't prevent twist, you need diagonal bracing to keep the sides aligned. If it were me I would use turn buckles to go from one corner to the opposite. Top Left front corner to bottom right rear corner. Turnbuckles would allow you to adjust the squareness when the lathe is put on it. So if the weight of the lathe caused the twist to develop you could tweak it out.

The easiest thing to do, would be to cut a two collar test bar. Google it for a detailed explanation. It is very simple thing to do and you can find out if moving your machine around the shop will affect the accuracy. Cut a test bar in location A, move the lathe to a location B, cut another test on the same or different bar and compare the results.

This is what I did on a small table in my garage. I only put two of them on the corners with the swivel casters, just to keep it from rolling around while working. If your table does flex, four of them could be used for leveling it. Mine are made from 3/4" threaded rod.IMG_7684.JPG

Thanks for the replies.

MontanaLon,
That a good idea to keep it from twisting. I might go one step further and weld a 12 inch wide steel plate vertically around the perimeter. Making a 12 X 25 X 48 box.

tech610,
Great idea. No matter how I make the base, a quick way to see if I was successful.

Noblng,
A great way to level. Not to much building but very strong.

Thanks,
Joe W

Back