Mobile Base For A Mill?

Paco,

Amazing job! I love the design. I'm working on a similar project for a PM930 I just purchased and I'm concerned about the casters.
The reason being is that I recently got a set of similar casters (4" heavy duty casters from Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Heavy-Duty-Swivel-Caster-w-Brake/G8176) and put them on a cart I built but they have a mind of their own when trying to move the cart. One set goes one direction while the other is going the other which is ok, but more troubling is that it is difficult to get them to change direction. Mind you they are on a cart that may way 300 LB, nothing in comparison to what you have on yours. How easy is it to maneuver with these wheels you have purchased with the mill? They look awfully similar to the ones I got from Grizzly. I suspect because they are so wide and flat they don't like to pivot.
I bought two fixed casters to replace 2 on the original cart so I was hoping to use the two I have but if what you have is working well then I may fork out the money to buy a set, but I'd like to confirm that and exactly what you have. Thanks!

Todd

Hi Todd,

I have used four swivel castors on certain applications only to have the ability to rotate in limited spaces. Ideally if you have the space then go with two fixed and two swivel but the four swivel do work with moderate effort. I'm not a big guy and had no real issue pushing the machine enough to orient the castors. The trick is to keep moving and adjusting toward the direction you want. If you have another person, then its a piece of cake. As far as the Grizzly castors, they look similar to the Service castors Mark (mksj) provided for this project, but can't be 100% they are the same. I have been using this company for some time and they are located in Reading, PA.http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Heavy-Dut...lyurethane-on-Iron-Core-1000-lbs-/32167315653. I grease the swivel bearings prior to install, the hub bearing are sealed and don't require grease.
Sorry for the late reply, I just found your question this morning.

Paco

Hi Todd,

I have used four swivel castors on certain applications only to have the ability to rotate in limited spaces. Ideally if you have the space then go with two fixed and two swivel but the four swivel do work with moderate effort. I'm not a big guy and had no real issue pushing the machine enough to orient the castors. The trick is to keep moving and adjusting toward the direction you want. If you have another person, then its a piece of cake. As far as the Grizzly castors, they look similar to the Service castors Mark (mksj) provided for this project, but can't be 100% they are the same. I have been using this company for some time and they are located in Reading, PA.http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Heavy-Dut...lyurethane-on-Iron-Core-1000-lbs-/32167315653. I grease the swivel bearings prior to install, the hub bearing are sealed and don't require grease.
Sorry for the late reply, I just found your question this morning.

Paco
Thank Paco! 4 swivel is a must for me as well. Mine seem to be lubed but I'll try lubing mine and see if that helps, before I make a decision.
I can't tell from the picture, but are the wheels you have flat or do they have a slight crown to them?

Todd

Well, I'm having to downsize and I'm trying to pound that 10# of _____ into a 5# sack. I love this mobility, though I can see some engineering challenges with the K&T Model "D." Now, my mind is wandering toward roll around lathes (TUM 14 X 40, TOS 16 X 60, W&S #4). Anybody try that, yet???

Thank Paco! 4 swivel is a must for me as well. Mine seem to be lubed but I'll try lubing mine and see if that helps, before I make a decision.
I can't tell from the picture, but are the wheels you have flat or do they have a slight crown to them?

Todd

Todd,

The castors wheels are flat.

Paco

Back