[Newbie] Mobile Base for Lathe?

My old craftsman lathe is on a table that is on casters. That's how I bought it. Now the lathe is very old and I'm not sure exactly how accurate it is but it seems to make good parts, for as rarely as I use it. I never keep it in one place, it's always been on casters and I don't think it flexes. The table it's on is a tool bench basically, it has a drawer, is all metal and is on wheels, I didn't know that level is all that critical for the most parts but it depends on what you're making. If you're making money with it, the parts you have to be exact and consistent. I learned a long time ago that even on a really beat up inaccurate machine I could make stuff that was right on, you simple have to know where the slop is and take it out of the equation. You'll get used to your machine and know where it's off and instinctively compensate. I guess my question is, on these little mills...they're ARE a pretty rigid machine because they're so small, is leveling even necessary? Compared to a machine shop lathe, these are toys. If it's small enough for a rolling table it's, in my thoughts anyway, not necessary to level it. If I'm wrong please tell me but tell me why I'm wrong. Are they not as rigid as I think?

I'd like to mention that my lathe is just one of those very old craftsman....maybe it says sears, I can't recall now, but it's the same one they made forever. Later models had a deal in the front that would allow you to change the speed of the feed with a lever. Mine is so old it is only changeable by changing gears in the correct combination. I can't imagine needing to cut threads...I just don't do anything that would call for it for that most part. Even in the drag racing...you just would never need to cut threads. You might need to make a bracket that you want to look nice if you have a nice race car but for the most part everything I make is utilitarian first, pretty second.

Back