Mobile Lathe, and GI machine shop?

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
A lathe on wheels, hummmm
Looks like a deuce, and a half in the bottom picture.

1565944073971.png

1565944327183.png

Last edited:
Those guys were truly the unsung hero's. I've read several books about the bomber crews of WWII and they all mention the mechanics and crew chiefs who stayed up all night getting the planes that had come in all shot up back in the air. But no real details. Can't really tell by the pics what in the world they are working on.

It reminds me of the fact my grandfather worked on International Havester cotton pickers and crawlers for 40yrs. And he had to do the repairs in place out in the fields where they broke down. Everything from hydrostatic drives on the pickers to transmissions and differentials in the crawlers. Drives home, where theres a will theres a way.

Last edited:
Wait, did he level that jeep?
I saw those pics a while back. Still appreciate them!

If i remember correctly AMC/Jeep made these as mobile field machine shops during the war

The very top one looks like a sales display. I think that's an old Woody, sure doesn't look like military.

The first picture has been on here before, and it has been identified as a sales representative's vehicle.

In fact i do believe the guy working the lathe on that jeep is a British soldier in Africa during ww2 or looks very similar to the picture in that story i read.

Here's some for the fun. Below looks NATO by the colors, but not US by the design style. The lathe is an Austrian EMCO:
72824d1364148106-mobile-military-machine-shop-3ke3g83m15if5n75hdd2edda8d11c031a1aee.jpg

US Army, can't quite place the date. Those boots are old style jump boots (as the signal corps would have):
Mobile_Machine_Shop_US_Army_England.jpg

And a South Bend sales floor in a trailer, 1956:
south-bend-mobile-machine-shop-lathes-and-milling-machine-760x549.jpg

Back