Mobile standing desks

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm in a spot where I'll be spending significant time in front of a computer daily. But it's not office work. I'm in a manufacturing environment, with attendant durability and mobility issues to address. Due to unfixable back problems, I'm going to need to use a mobile standing desk. Is anybody using them? Thoughts? Recommendations?

We do have them at work as the other plants and ours are being combined and space was an issue . We have computers thru out the plant now on these stands . I'm in manufacturing also , and the operators use these as well as the mechanics . We ( the mechanics ) also carry smart phones , radios , and those smallerish computer things around with us . We still have our office and machine shop also . These stand up desks do help with MY walking issues , we were over 7 miles a night in the plant .

I will add this . The company supplied me with a smart phone . I have NEVER used it . I told my boss ( and friend ) I work 13 hr shifts and get off in the am . These company phones get started up everyday with group messages and go on all day . I have to sleep . I don't need/want this phone going off every minute keeping me awake . I fill the company in with any needed info every morning and they let me know what needs to be done in the evening . This works out well for us both . They have my personal # and use it when emergencys hit .

Sorry to ask, but what kind of table do you use at home? I'm wondering if your work influences the surface choice you spend time on at home.

Well this is awkward. I apparently never came back and checked in with this thread. In the unlikely event aworoeuw sees this, I use a computer less than 5 minutes a week at home, so there’s no issue. At home I’m either on my feet at a bench I built at 40” tall, or laying on my back. Laying on my back doesn’t hurt at all, but doing it too long is asking for trouble. Strangely, a good night’s sleep usually cures me of pain for at least three hours.
I settled on a saddle type rolling stool, and a pair of knee pads. When I can no longer sit, I “stand” on my knees. I still ruminate on building the standing desk of my dreams. But honestly I’m sure that standing in front of a computer screen is no less miserable if given enough time at it.

I love a good standing desk (I'm at one now), but I don't care at all for the mobile units - too little desk space, and for long term use an anti-fatigue mat is mandatory. Given that (and that I can alternate between sitting and standing) they're very pleasant.

An odd thing, that I might not be able to explain well, is that it breaks your stride much less as well. If I can just walk up to the desk (in standing position) and quickly look up the thing I want, check my email, or whatever brought me to the computer my mind doesn't shift into "sitting and 'puting" mode. It's easier to keep from getting distracted - just do what you needed and walk away.

I hear "walking desks" are even better...

GsT

I am the approving authority (ergonomy/medical approval) for sit/stand workstation requests for a few thousand people, and have been making assessments on them for years. About 1/3 of people use them and love them. I have a prosthetic disc in my back, and that's the tip of the injury iceberg for me, and I prefer to sit. Standing is much harder, I can barely do 8 hours when called to. Anyway, there are two types of desk, one that you put on your existing desk and can raise/lower, and the other kind (favored by those who prefer standing over sitting) that raises the whole table up and down.

Just buy one that lets you place the monitor at or slightly below eye level, and rest you hands on the keyboard with your elbows at a 90 from your sides. That's it. I heartily recommend the anti-fatigue mat, it keeps circulation going and reduces fatigue. Obviously, get a desk that has springs or counterweights so it is effortless to adjust up and down.

Edit: Foot blocks also allow you to stretch while you stand.

Edit again: My wife is bananas over her walking desk. One of the guys in my office has a little office stair stepper he's always grinding on while working.

I have a sit/stand desk at home where I work FT. It's in the sitting position for the vast majority of the day. I find that I cannot stand and do the extensive reading that my job requires.
Conversely, with the exception of TIG welding I find that I cannot sit in the shop even when doing fine tasks.

I used to have a sit/stand electric adjustable desk when I was upstairs in IT. You may need to raise your monitor as well if you’re tall.

Now that I’m downstairs in production I have both a regular cube and a high workbench/desk in the lab. Good chairs are mandatory IMHO.

Lots of employers don’t want to spend the money but ergonomic accommodations are worth it. Even if you have to spend your own money and claim it on your taxes.

John

Back