Mockups In Cheap Materials

In another post hman said he couldn't see my images but then when he quoted me he could. ???

Weird. They show up fine in Tapatalk on both of my devices, but not in web view. I'll try again but I don't know if it will make any difference as I'm uploading from Tapatalk.

a0ce900c755a002d6725438bbfef3f4a.jpg

And I'm actually having trouble with Tapatalk uploading the images. It's usually instant but right now it keeps hanging at 95%. They must be having some server issues.

796ce025d54a5dfc0ccfd4361205e66a.jpg

004bd6418f3609682524d8e7996d5d2c.jpg

Yup , when you get quoted the pics post, but not once you post the quote. Strange for sure. I will get together with admin to see what causes this.

"Billy G"

Sometimes much more useful, and not only for metal parts, but for many things I build for yachts, I make patterns of the shape of the interface, rather than mock-ups of the part or assembly. These are usually made from 1/8" door skin strips, of a width appropriate to the size of the pattern, and hot glue. Onto the pattern is scribed the true outline of the interface, using a pencil compass or scribing knife, or sometimes a small piece of door skin, with which irregular shapes are easily transferred. Additional notes are inscribed to describe the edge, itself, like back-beveling, for example. And tic-marks can be added to show the location of important features that fall within the framework of strips, mounting holes, for instance.

Actual mock-ups might be made by cutting out paper dolls, representing instruments, to optimize the locations of navigation electronics. Or to visualize the close proximity of related components, as shown on the electric conversion of an engine powered model airplane.

cub-7_zpsomgzltjn.jpg
cub-34_zpscd26wnnz.jpg
cub-60_zps5zgxqgba.jpg
cub-66_zps15k4uspz.jpg

I often use Delrin or PVC for testing lathe programs as we have a lot of drops lying about, did 10 internal 1 1/2-4 Left Hand Acme threaded parts yesterday using a RH tool, so ran it in a piece of Delrin first, it was not ideal as I had to hand grind side clearance on the insert.

Back