Mod to 4in Tool Make Vice

I realize this is an old post, but no one replied and I have dealt with a related issue and think it might help here.

In my case it was a 3" screwless toolmakers vise, which appears to be the same style. My solution was two-fold. To solve the clevis falling off the bolt, I installed a longer bolt. I think this provides an additional advantage as it lowers the angle of draw. I don't recall exactly my reason, but I added a spring under the bolt head to pull the clevis up into the slots. I believe this was in part due to the longer bolt, but it allowed for feeling when the pin was seated and height of the bolt sticking up showed how much the bolt needed to be screwed in. The pin/clevis would "pop" into each pin slot, so it was easy to move the jaw into position. It does take a little more screwing in of the bolt, but it has worked great for over 20 yrs.

I added a bushing to house/capture the upper end of the spring. The base of the bushing seats on the rounded washer with the spring fully compressed inside.

Attachments

• Assembly.jpg
    Assembly.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 4
  • SpringParts.jpg
    SpringParts.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Vise.jpg
    Vise.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 4
Back