Modding an old Atlas 1060 - Jackshaft & MT2 conversion

yarrrrr

Registered
Registered
In the spirit of "run what ya brung", I decided to add a pulley to slow down my old Atlas DP. Also, inspired by a post by Tony Foale over at homadetools.net I was excited by the prospect of swapping chucks between my tailstock and DP.

For the jackshaft, I turned out a piece of Al that just plops down in the post. The pillow block mounts to an eccentric slide to give me some adjustability.

The old pulley was knackered, and was a nonstandard size, so I turned it down to accept a sleeve and milled out the keyway. Replaced the bearings as well.

Then I started on the R8 to MT2 adjuster. Found the cheapest one on Amazon and turned it down to accept bearings.

Then bored the quill to a light press fit

This is a work in progress post, currently working on the lower bearing cup. slicing off the 2.25" chunk. Should have brought a book.

Current status:

This thing has spent it's life in a childrens museum., so anything that can suffer half a century of abuse and still work certainly has a place in my shop! Also, it was cheap.

Could not quite figure out how to cut the splines (For those wondering.... 5/8 major diameter, SAE straight cut, 6 splines). So i just cut the spindle down, threaded one end for the R8 collet (7/16) and turned down the shaft to accept the new upper spindle bearing.

The top of the spindle with pulley.

Had to trim down the ears of the flange mount pillow block to get the jackshaft pulley to fit.

Turned the jackshaft on the lathe and then cut the keyway.

Back