Model 5408 Oil Leak

Rick_B

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have a model 5408 - I haven't seen a lot of discussion about these models. It is a step pulley version with countershaft 12" swing machine. I don't use it lot but a while back I noticed a lot of oil in the chip tray. I cleaned it up and have not seen it reappear but I am curious as to the source. I think the only place that holds an oil reservoir on this machine is the apron. When I look at the sight glass I don't feel confident in what I am seeing - looks like there is oil. I put a "dipstick" through the oil fill hole and it appears there is about an inch of oil in the apron which would put it about right for the sight glass.

I checked the drain plug under the apron - it was tight. I know there is an opening with a gasket in the back of the apron where the lead screw is but from what I could see there isn't an indication of a leak. That would seem like the most likely area for a problem.

So my question - is an inch of oil enough? I'm wondering if I over filled it at some point but I can't picture how over flow would end up in the chip tray. Any trouble shooting ideas - do I need to pull the apron?

Thanks
Rick

I have a model 5408 - I haven't seen a lot of discussion about these models. It is a step pulley version with countershaft 12" swing machine. I don't use it lot but a while back I noticed a lot of oil in the chip tray. I cleaned it up and have not seen it reappear but I am curious as to the source. I think the only place that holds an oil reservoir on this machine is the apron. When I look at the sight glass I don't feel confident in what I am seeing - looks like there is oil. I put a "dipstick" through the oil fill hole and it appears there is about an inch of oil in the apron which would put it about right for the sight glass.

I checked the drain plug under the apron - it was tight. I know there is an opening with a gasket in the back of the apron where the lead screw is but from what I could see there isn't an indication of a leak. That would seem like the most likely area for a problem.

So my question - is an inch of oil enough? I'm wondering if I over filled it at some point but I can't picture how over flow would end up in the chip tray. Any trouble shooting ideas - do I need to pull the apron?

Thanks
Rick

No ideas?

Ruck

I’m sure plenty of us would like to help but your machine might be too uncommon. I really thought you’d get an answer on the io. group.

Back