Model A Arter Rotary Surface Grinder

Scra99tch

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
What would you think a nice model A 12" is worth?

I checked one out today, and it looked like a great little machine possible 60's not too sure. Could not get mag chuck to move but really had no idea how to engage it anyways.

I did not know what it is, so I looked it up. "Blanchard" type vertical grinder. I have no idea what it might be worth.

Be good for grinding piston rings, but not a lot else, as I see it.

Yeah rotary Surface Grinder. I would close to anything could be ground on it. Flat stock, might be able to setup a separate rotary motor on the table and use it as a cylindrical grinder (table not moving).

It looks just like a shaper and has that rhythmic movement that we are all attracted too.

What would you think a nice model A 12" is worth?

I checked one out today, and it looked like a great little machine possible 60's not too sure. Could not get mag chuck to move but really had no idea how to engage it anyways.
What do you plan to use it for? What will you grind?

That I do not know. There may be some capability that the place I work at might need one day. Other than that I would just be using it as a surface grinder for the time being. Plus You don't see these that often.

Blanchard style grinders are more for large quantity production, you can get tons of parts on a 12" chuck. Its not really a great replacement for a surface grinder because its only made for grinding top and bottom, you can't use a cut-off wheel, can't grind an OD or ID, can't do slotting.... If you dont have a surface grinder yet you might want to find one of those first, especially if you have no idea what to do with it.....

Last edited:
Back