Model number for level

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
This came up for sale near me.
Curious what model number it might be. Ad says Starrett 12" but nothing else.
Wondering if it might be sufficiently accurate for lathe bed levelling.
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 3.41.28 PM.png

Looks like a 98-12 to me, and many will say not sensitive enough for machine levelling purposes. I have the little brother, 98-6.

-frank

I would grab that up in a minute depending on price
Joe

Thanks Frank, I think you’re right on the model. Starrett specs say that it has graduations of approximately .005 per foot.
What level of precision is necessary to level a lathe?

Edit: asking $100
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good price. I paid 75 for my 8" without the factory box.

Close enough for the equipment you have, plus you still have 'young' eyes. :grin:

Grab it quick! Ive got a 98-12 and the next level up precision 12" .0005per ft made in Poland and IMHO you need both and the 98-12 will a fine job of leveling. But I love my 98-12, must have, for me.

Dave, be careful to look at the condition of the base before you buy that thing. If it is rusted or dinged up, pass.

A Starett 98 is a good level but, in my opinion, lacks the sensitivity you need for leveling machines. I own a 98-6 and I use it but only to get me in the neighborhood so I can use my more precise level.

What is the difference? Speed. A precision level will get you very near dead level very quickly. You still need to do a 2-collar test to finalize your level regardless of the level you use but a precision level will usually get you within 1/8 turn of a leveling bolt of foot.

A shame you couldn't use water as a level. I do in my line of work (plumbing) and results are indisputable every time.

Back