Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

If you get a belt sander like mine you won't need the glass platen. There is a support arm that can be swung down to support the top of the platen on theses belt sanders. In the picture I am setting the angle of the table to 15 degrees with a combination square.

IMG_3749.JPG

If you get a belt sander like mine you won't need the glass platen. There is a support arm that can be swung down to support the top of the platen on theses belt sanders. In the picture I am setting the angle of the table to 15 degrees with a combination square.

View attachment 350996
Mine is similar, has metal wheels, and a sheet metal table.
My wheel does not reach the platen, it touches the belt above the platen.

Last edited:
I would like to offer a different perspective on glass platen liners. These liners are more to provide a long lasting flat surface that lasts for years in a hobby shop. Steel platens wear and dish out over time and you cannot grind a flat surface on a dished platen.

1" platen liners are harder to find but this guy has them and also has a video on how to install them. I would suggest that you make the platen support as rigid as you can because it is supported only on one end. @darkzero and @Aukai made some nice ones for their Jet sanders.

"Glass" platen liners (aka pyroceram) for belt sanders/grinders are available from lots of sellers who support knife making. Try Google-fu with the search term "pyroceram belt grinder" and you'll get lots of hits.

Back