Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Here are links to manuals at Vintage Machinery. 4129.pdf (vintagemachinery.org) and Full page fax print (vintagemachinery.org) They appear to be identical but have different part numbers. The support for the wheel that sits just above the platen has a slot in it. I wonder if you can lower it to reach the platen or make a longer one. Have fun with your belt sander. I use mine a lot for all kinds sanding. Not just to grind tool bits.

If you get a belt sander like mine you won't need the glass platen. There is a support arm that can be swung down to support the top of the platen on theses belt sanders. In the picture I am setting the angle of the table to 15 degrees with a combination square.

View attachment 350996
I have a sander like that. I added a glass platen today (finally) and trust me it works really nicely! Well worth the effort and minor expense.

IMG_0622.JPG

Also, please take note that when using the knife point facing out is a prerequisite to a good finish whereas facing in with this tool will create a terrible finish.
Totally dependent on the point radius.
I faced in, and then faced out, on a short 1-inch diameter 6061 aluminum rod, using a knife tool. Depth of cut was 0.02 inch. Spindle was turning at 800 rpm. I don't know what the feed rate was. The chips were very different. See below. The chip from facing in is above; the chip from facing out is below.
DSCF5742 downsampled.jpg
I think I can see why facing out produces a better finish. It's like having a large nose radius.

When I read about facing out with a knife tool, I doubted that facing out means what I means. It seemed wrong -- that to face out is to orient the x-y surface with a negative clearance angle.

Last edited:
I would have expected a rougher finish facing in, but I expect that will be dependent on feed speed.
Your chatter facing out is a sum of the combination of depth of cut and feedspeed.

Im buying a little Derbyshire so i will be referring to that chart more

Would it be ok to save that in the downloads section for future reference?
Mods?

Back