Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Heck yeah, you can get in on this. PM @Z2V and ask him to put you on the list.

Love your avatar pic, by the way!

Cant remember where I robbed the pic on the net from but I couldn't pass it up!!!! I love it!!!!

I did PM him right before the post. He hasn't even had time to reply to me honestly before my post here. I just wanted to throw out there that Id be willing to donate some tools if it would help the cause. This machining stuff is cool and I tend to purchase for the future(to an extent) in case I ever figure out how I need to do things. Probably spend more that I should but why do I have a job in the first place, right!! :) I also got a box of stuff from the estate where my lathe came from and it got all sorts of tools already ground so i may not need the uncut ones I bought for several years honestly. Anyway without writing a book the offer is open if it appeals! Thanks.

This is a great thread to help beginner grinders! I sure could use the guidance as well! Thanks to Mikey & all those who are participating in this!

I'll make this thread a sticky for a while.

Dhector

You are on the list. PM sent with info

Jeff

I am absolutely game with putting you guys on "a list" I can probably do it for like 5-10 bucks tops as long as USPS will take them in a normal envelope.

However Ive started turning "parts" as of... like 2 weeks ago, so I wouldn't be a good person to 3d model these since I've only ground one tool poorly so far, lol :)
If anyone wants to send me a set of properly ground tools I could model them and send them back though.

Metal
i will be glad to add you to the list if you PM me contact info.

Jeff

I would love to get on the list, but I want to get my grinder set up with decent rests first.
Metal: What type of 3D models can you use? I have access to Solidworks and could model them for you, based on Mike's pictures and descriptions, if that would help.
-Randall

I would love to get on the list, but I want to get my grinder set up with decent rests first.
Metal: What type of 3D models can you use? I have access to Solidworks and could model them for you, based on Mike's pictures and descriptions, if that would help.
-Randall

Yeah solidworks, fusion, really any format would work that is object based

I finally got my ceramic belts in and gave it a try on mild steel keystock and ... it ate my keystock! I bought the coarsest grit, 36 grit, and 80 grit belts from Red Label Abrasives: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H8YWLNU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These ceramic belts are stearate-coated to reduce material build up and this allows it to run cooler. I applied some stick wax anyway and proceeded to grind the keystock. The 36 grit cuts very aggressively for the first few passes across the face and then it settled down and felt smoother. I assume I am knocking the tops off the ceramic crystals and when they're sort of level, the grind settles down to a smoother cut. I am used to using a 24 grit Alum. Oxide belt and this 36 grit belt is way more aggressive than the AO. It chewed through the mild steel like it was aluminum, and I cannot see any evidence of wear after grinding one bit.

I switched to the 80 grit belt for a second pass to clean up the coarse grind marks left by the 36 grit belt and the finish left by the 80 grit belt looks like the finish left by my 24 grit AO belt. This ceramic stuff cuts faster and much more aggressively than AO and now I realize that I should have ordered 60 grit for shaping and 120 or finer grit for finishing. I will re-order new belts later but will make do with what I have so I can get the model tools done. I have to say that I am impressed!

I will need to grind some HSS with this belt to see what that is like but I suspect these ceramic belts will very likely become my preferred belts once I figure out the grits. They cut fast, cool and are pretty economical for what they are. I am anxious to grind a tool for aluminum to see if this belt will cut the back rake angle better than my AO belts do. My aluminum tool has 40 degrees of back rake and this tends to push the belt back onto the platen, leaving a curve on top of the tool. While the tool works well, the back rake looks funny. If these belts cut instead of push on the belt then I may just be able to grind a more accurate tool after all. We'll see.

I'll do a follow up report on these belts after I have a chance to grind a HSS tool. I'll start work on the model tools tomorrow and then they'll be on the way - hang on, guys!

Thanks for sharing that with us Mike. I'll give he's strong consideration for the 2x72 I'm making.

Back