Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

I got the models from Mike a few days ago, they were as expected, my young friend who is starting out will get a copy that I make for him. Been grinding tools a long time, but seeing Mike's first hand was helpful. Anyone who wants to learn how to grind HSS would be well advised to take part in this generous offer to have the tools for a few days for the cost of shipping.

michael

Thanks, Mike. With your guidance, he'll be an Ace in no time!

Bonehead just left my house - came over for a visit, which means his wife allowed him to go out in public; this is a rare thing because he is ugly enough to frighten women and small children. He doesn't own a computer and only has a dumb phone so if he wants to see something on the net, he comes here. Anyway, he actually read this entire thread after I showed him how to scroll with the mouse wheel and he said that while I mentioned the push block a few times, he felt it is important enough to make an issue of it.

Bonehead doesn't just use the block to apply force into the belt. He steers the tool with it and he feels it is a key to grinding accurately, especially if you're a newbie and are grinding to a line. He is adamant that only plywood will do; something about the different layers grabbing the edge of the bit better.

His physical repulsiveness aside, Bonehead is probably one of the most intelligent men I know. He only has a high school education but he is an amazing engineer, the best I've ever seen. He grinds tool bits that are works of art and hones them to a mirror finish so despite the fact that he is coarser than a 24 grit belt in his speech, he does know what he's talking about. You might want to listen to him.

His parting shots to me: " You're too wordy and repetitious, and you write like a girl. "

Le Sigh ...

Get Bonehead on the forum.

I tried, I honestly did. I even offered to buy him a laptop. I swear, he just looked at me like I smelled bad and said, "NO!". When Bonehead says no, nothing on this earth will change his mind. I even appealed to his wife and she literally looked alarmed. She said, "Why would you want to do that? He pisses people off just being alive!" They must have a really interesting and colorful marriage.

Bonehead once made a 3D archery target. It was a moving platform with a foam Javelina archery target mounted on it. He used a wireless remote control and could make the target turn on a dime instantly and run at realistic pig speeds. He made the whole thing (except for the electronics) with a hacksaw, files and a few screws. And this was 20 years ago. When every archer on the field complained that he cheated and turned the target just as they were ready to shoot, he said, "It's not my fault that you guys suck; get better instead of complaining."

Now you begin to understand his wife's sentiments ...

I think it is a great idea and would be interested in getting on whatever mailing list that is formed to distribute the patterns.

tennsmith
I'll be glad to add you to the list, all I need is an address in a PM

Jeff

Back