Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Hey Mikey, this is a great forum and one outstanding thread, Thank You Sir

You're welcome, Jeff. The guys on the HM forum are best - they make newbies feel welcome and comfortable asking questions. Heck, they even let me on here.

I think a person could make the radius gauge pretty simply at home. Take a 2 x 2 piece of sheet metal and drill holes in each of the corners.
Drill an 1/8 inch hole for a 1/16th radius, a 1/16 hole for 1/32 radius, then grind the corner off, exposing the radius gauge.

I think a person could make the radius gauge pretty simply at home. Take a 2 x 2 piece of sheet metal and drill holes in each of the corners.
Drill an 1/8 inch hole for a 1/16th radius, a 1/16 hole for 1/32 radius, then grind the corner off, exposing the radius gauge.

GREAT idea, especially since I only plan to use it for tool grinding. Thanks for the tip.

@HBilly1022, @DHarris, I just checked on Amazon and they sell a pack of 1X30 belts with an assortment of grits. I bet this would make your belt sanders much better for tool grinding. Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/Makers-Premi...=1508298760&sr=1-4&keywords=1x30+ceramic+belt

Thanks for the link Mike. Unfortunately they do not ship that item to Canada. I'm pretty sure I can find 1" x 30" ceramic belts somewhere up here but I've been busy in the shop for the last few days so internet hunting is on hold for a bit.

Belts made by Hermes, a German maker, and assembled and sold by Red Label.

The difference between the two packages on Amazon is that the cheaper one is shipped by Amazon; the other is drop shipped from Red Label.

I don't know how good other ceramic belts work but I do know the Hermes belts work really well. I'm sold anyway.

Back