Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

I suspect that the guys who really want this info will read the whole thing, mine it for the stuff that matters to them and then create their own document.

Hey Mikey,
I've cut and pasted all of your tutorials into a MS word doc (text and photos - 23 pages!). I've just made a pdf of them all and will try to attache it here to this post.

see if this worked!

Attachments

• Making HSS tooling for the lathe.pdf
    632.4 KB · Views: 141
Ok, I just checked it and it seems to work for me.
Now, if a moderator can figure out how to "stick" it to a start post or someplace else easy to access we are home free!

Reactions: Z2V
Ok, I just checked it and it seems to work for me.
Now, if a moderator can figure out how to "stick" it to a start post or someplace else easy to access we are home free!

Thanks, Dave - that saved some work. You weren't kidding; 23 pages!

I have the MS word document that I can e-mail to anyone who wants it in case you want to add your own inputs / references for one package (can't attach it to a post - says not allowed file type?).

Dave

p.s. Glad to help in some small way Mikey!

You did help, Dave - thank you!

I was just thinking - if Bonehead wrote this, it would be maybe 2 pages and by the time you were done reading it you would know more but you would have a headache and also be ****** off!

Make sure there are a shear tool included in the models.

I have been printing the pages as we go, and have a folder.

I've never used a shear tool, mostly because I never felt the need for one. My tools finish well enough for me.

If you and anyone else would like to make a model or discuss grinding one, please feel free.

okay I wanted to play too!

I have always used a bench grinder to shape and sharpen my lathe tools in the past.
But I wanted to try this MikeyModel™ too.

The problem was my current bench sander would not allow access to the edge of the belt.
I fixed that here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...-sander-to-access-the-edge-of-the-belt.63436/

and then proceeded to create this tool following @mikey's instructions:
oblique.jpg

the end:
end.jpg

the side:
side.jpg

the top:
top.jpg

I still need to hone it and try it.

-brino

Back