Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Thank you I will take you up on that. Learning the belt sander is part of the issue, and keeping the surfaces flat when honing is another.

All I was going to do was have people ship blanks to mikey's place, now we're arranging a party at his place... :)

You guys cracked me up this morning! If any of you ever do visit Honolulu, let me know and we'll get together for a tool grinding thing. My shop extension should be done by then and I'll be able to access all my machines so we can even test the tools. Would be fun!

Reactions: Z2V
Thank you I will take you up on that. Learning the belt sander is part of the issue, and keeping the surfaces flat when honing is another.

The key issues with a belt sander will be the table and platen. You have a Jet 2x42 and the table, while adequate for most tasks, is not set up from grinding tools. It will work; you just have to get the angles set right. The platen is attached only on the bottom so it can flex; that makes holding accurate angles difficult.

Can you post a pic of how the platen is configured? Maybe from the side?

Honing can be tricky for some. What I do is to hold the stone in one hand and the bit in the other. Then I place the face I'm honing in full contact with the stone and lock my wrists. Then I use a pulling motion to make a full stroke on the stone and then re-register the face and make another stroke. You don't need a lot of pressure with a diamond stone; what you are trying to do is not allow your hand angles to change. I find that if I use a lot of tension in my wrists, it is less accurate. Try to relax but keep your wrists locked. Hard to explain but it doesn't take a lot of muscle power to lock your wrists; just don't let them move. Oh yeah, I do all of this under a bit of running water to keep the grit off the stone but a basin that you can dip into works fine, too.

Back shot..If..the picture here is cropped, click on it to see full view

I would make a new platen from 1/4" thick steel. Make the base, weld the platen to it, then box the sides with flat plates welded to the platena and base. Then I would make the slot long enough to allow you to epoxy on a Pyroceram liner. A boxed structure should be solid enough.

Back