Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Models arrived from Canada today' They look great. Awesome job on the packaging. Now, have to find some me time.

I would make a new platen from 1/4" thick steel. Make the base, weld the platen to it, then box the sides with flat plates welded to the platena and base. Then I would make the slot long enough to allow you to epoxy on a Pyroceram liner. A boxed structure should be solid enough.
I can work on that. Shucks now I'm back at a 1,000,000, and 1 things to do again.....:faint::grin:

I can work on that. Shucks now I'm back at a 1,000,000, and 1 things to do again.....:faint::grin:

Yeah, sorry about that but a platen that stays flat and solid is a joy to use. One that moves in use is next to worthless. Once you get the platen sorted, you need to figure out how to index the table quickly and precisely. THEN tool grinding is simple and easy. I kid you not, I can now grind a square tool in about 3 minutes with these new ceramic belts, and the tool will be accurate.

Models arrived from Canada today' They look great. Awesome job on the packaging. Now, have to find some me time.

I'm interested to hear how they work for you, Bryan. Different from your tools at work, that's for sure.

I'm getting much faster at not getting it quite right:rolleyes:LOL ran out of time tonight. I have to go back, and get a couple more 3" pieces.

Aukai, are you using a push block or just your hands?

Draw the line on top of the tool and keep that line parallel with the belt. As you get closer and closer to the line, it will be easier to do this. Take your time and grind one single flat using the push block to steer.

Aukai, are you using a push block or just your hands?

Draw the line on top of the tool and keep that line parallel with the belt. As you get closer and closer to the line, it will be easier to do this. Take your time and grind one single flat using the push block to steer.
The shorter length added to the heat, I am using a block, give it another shot tomorrow, sneaking up on it....

Apologies to those of you waiting for the samples. I thought I had sent them on weeks ago, but they were still on the bench, hiding under some papers. It was only when Z2V asked about them last night that I realized my mistake.
They are now on their way to California.

I owe you all one virtual beer. May be turned into an actual beer if you visit Eugene.

Brian

Great thread. Thank you Mikey. Doing this is help so many and saving a lot of good lathe tools from a horrible, munged up, distorted end.
I'll start with a bench grinder until I can get a decent belt sander/platen mod set up. Looking at the Metabo bench grinder for now.
Ordering some key stock from McMasters while my C-L, Rex and MoxMax bits patiently await their turn. I'll be using the shops lathe for now, (alas, I too am latheless. :( I see that a lot of people are now using tool holders with inserts. Future? I still want to learn to grind by hand. Thanks Mikey.

Thanks, Emilio. I hope this thread helps you to grind a good tool that will go with your future lathe. Knowing you, it will be a really good one.

Yeah, most hobby guys use inserted carbide tools and I don't blame them - easy to use, no grinding and so on. I have them, too, and I also know how to use them but since they are appropriate for only a small proportion of my work I use HSS most of the time. I'm fortunate that I have the option to choose; way too many guys don't.

Back