Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

I somehow missed the thread you started there. Good idea on the quick mount and that’s a really nice looking grinder as well.

A good rest makes a huge difference in how your tool grinding goes. Jeff made one that he showed earlier in this thread and others have made similar designs. I have this one: http://accu-finish.com/product/grind-r-table. I have two bases and one table. It doesn't see much use but when I did use it, I switched the table from one base to the other to use the two grits I have mounted. Not suggesting you buy one but it is an example of a design I know to work well, at least the table part of it.

Well it cuts, I didn't have anything in particular to work on so just made some test cuts and turned about 1 1/2" of 1/4" aluminum into 1/8" aluminum. Cut nice though.

Also faced and turned a piece of that cold rolled steel. not pleasant stuff to work with. 1" bar cut with a hack saw. That has also gone a long way towards convining me of a need for a band saw....

The tool rest on the grinder will work for now, I want to use it enough so that I really have an idea of what will work for me. I imagine something like that Accurest is what I'll want though, I've seen another similar to that that seems to be popular. I'd really like to make my own though. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to make something functional.

Well 90% of my belt grinder is finished, wired and running fine....... now working on a adjustable work table. There is no stalling that 2 HP motor now.

will first build a solid flat table from 1/4 inch steel.....and that will help me grind the parts for the adjustable table. I prefer to tilt my work table to adjusting the D plate. Platen running on steel now glass to be installed later......also seriously considering installing a goose neck LED lamp aimed directly at the cutting area.

Meanwhile, nursing cold I worked on the 1x42 belt grinder in the basement...... I have a greater appreciation for a solid work surface as thet able should not move when leaning on it. I now have the largest collection of busted belt...... everyone went.....from the 2 or 3 yeat old belts to the recently purchased 3 months ago. By the way my new 2 inch belts stored in the barn are inside air tight ammo boxes with dis-secant bags in the bottom. Using only one AO as test for now. I have gotten real good at telling when the belt is about to break loose and duck fast. All of them let go at the tape joint...... one actually let go before I could turn the motor on. I searched Utube and tried different method for reglueing including my dear wife's clothe iron for heat process with no success....... iron on patches work the best for a few minutes until the heat builds up and FLAP!!!!

Also learned the lesson of wearing loves......between the heat and the slap from the broken belt, I now use the light weight, part cotton part leather, tight fitting gloves sold for mechanics..... they protect but provide sufficient tactile feeling.

Part of the reason for so many broken belts is that I switch from key stock to HSS....... which is really toooo hard to work with the small 1x42. Also down sized from 3/8 key stock to 5/16 HSS and..... Gezz it is small ..... 1/4 HSS....

I will need to get my courage up to shove a tinny 1/4 cobalt bit into the 2 in. grinder with my clumsy fingers....... seems to me that wooden blocks of matching thickness will be of help rather than one size fits all. I find cutting the "rake" angle dangle is the hardest as you are working past the belt on the sides and the table I was using is too short.......... or maybe tilting the D plate might make it easier........(problem solving as I write)...

To be reasonable, I need to test myself with key stock again on the big belt.... then gradually work down to the smaller key stock size..... and then and only then try my hand at HSS and hard cobalt squares.

Will have pictures for " show and tell " later this week.

Bob C.

Well it cuts, I didn't have anything in particular to work on so just made some test cuts and turned about 1 1/2" of 1/4" aluminum into 1/8" aluminum. Cut nice though.

Also faced and turned a piece of that cold rolled steel. not pleasant stuff to work with. 1" bar cut with a hack saw. That has also gone a long way towards convining me of a need for a band saw....

The tool rest on the grinder will work for now, I want to use it enough so that I really have an idea of what will work for me. I imagine something like that Accurest is what I'll want though, I've seen another similar to that that seems to be popular. I'd really like to make my own though. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to make something functional.

Keep us posted on how your rest turns out, Aaron. This tool grinding thing takes time but you'll get it down quickly. I hope your tools open up all the potential your lathe holds for you.

Hey Bob, your post reminded me of the day I ground the tool in this thread: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/how-to-grind-a-hss-turning-tool.52581/

Just as I was almost finished the belt snapped and scared the crap out of me! It took a bit of courage to get my hands next to another belt from the same lot to finish it, I can tell you that. Old belts will let go with very little warning. All you get is a little noise then BAM! Buy some new belts and grind with confidence. They will generally will hold up for a year or so before the tape gets brittle.

Amazing that this thread is still going! Seems that some of us kind of got the cart before the horse in respect to grinding tools vs what to grind with. I'm not saying this is bad by any means. Still working on my belt grinder, so far so good. Need to get a motor and grinding rest made. The tool and cutter grinder I had bought never happened. The guy came and refunded my money and apologized before I could pick it up, Dang it! I'm thinking the belt grinder will probably be a better choice due to lack of space and usefulness.

Amazing that this thread is still going! Seems that some of us kind of got the cart before the horse in respect to grinding tools vs what to grind with. I'm not saying this is bad by any means. Still working on my belt grinder, so far so good. Need to get a motor and grinding rest made. The tool and cutter grinder I had bought never happened. The guy came and refunded my money and apologized before I could pick it up, Dang it! I'm thinking the belt grinder will probably be a better choice due to lack of space and usefulness.

I get the feeling that is just the nature of the hobby.

I haven't been doing this long but I think it goes something like this:

I want a lathe

I need a grinder to sharpen the bits for the lathe

I'm tired of cutting metal with a hacksaw, I need a band saw

This isn't round but I'd like to put some holes in it, I need a drill press

I'd like to put some holes in this thing, and I need them perfect, I need a mill

The grinder has crummy tool rests, I need better tool rests

This guy says a belt sander works better than a grinder, I need a belt sander

I need a bigger lathe

I need a bigger shop

:)

Aaron, the slippery slope is bottomless - it never ends. The only difference between you and the rest of us is that we've slid waaay past where you are now. Have fun and enjoy the journey!

Back