Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Given your location, I think we should reconvene this discussion to your house ASAP. :grin: I'll bring my sander. Should be an interesting conversation piece as a carry on. lol...

I've threatened to invade him a couple of times. He calls my bluff, but I do have family on the islands.... :D

You guys are welcome if you're ever on Oahu. I'll be sort of ashamed to show you my little belt sander after the new ones you guys made up but my hands move on their own after 30 years of tool grinding - bet there's still something I could show you!

Finally made it to the end!

What a read!! And big ups to Mikey and jeff for everything done so far, incredible information available at our fingertips as long as we are willing to put in the effort and attempt it ourselves!

So Mikey has already seen my first ever attempt at grinding a tool which wnded up a disaster after an attempted touch up haha.

But this is my second attempt ever at grinding up a tool. Was working with an old bench grinder that desperately needs to be dressed and a tool rest that was not able to be adjusted so everything was done free hand with a protractor in one hand for referance!

20180702_173549.jpg20180702_173523.jpg20180702_173503.jpg20180702_173242.jpg

This is before being honed.

Under the circumstances, not sure I could have done it any better. Good job!

Reactions: Z2V
Looks really good considering what you had to work with.

Hello and a big thanks to Mikey and Jeff for starting the pattern sharing. I just got my lathe up and running a few weeks ago and tried sharpening my own bits based on what I thought I knew. My surface finish was terrible and it sounded like I was grinding the chips off if I took more than .003. So I requested a set of bits from Jeff and just got my set of patterns done tonight. I hope to grind a few HSS bits tomorrow night after work. I don’t have a sander but I used my slow speed grinder. Here are my results. My bits are on the right side of each pattern. They are all the same three bits just rotated to show the different profiles.0CB71BD9-AEB7-4F70-A76D-6E0CC9752704.jpeg215533B3-2C35-40A7-B49D-59CA4204A365.jpeg8A9BDD80-7E43-4BE1-BCEB-ABEF474EB481.jpeg Now I just need to learn how to use them.Thanks again guys!!
Eric

Hi guys ....

So I have read through about 30% of the posts here and got in line to have the samples sent to me. One thing I have not found ...so far ...what about cutoff/parting tools? I have not found anything on sharpening them here ....or for that matter on Youtube channels like Tubalcain's. Thanks, Richard

Eric, it looks like you nailed all the angles - good job! When you're ready, do the same thing in HSS and let us know how they work for you. Pretty sure they'll beat 0.003"! If you post pics of the tools themselves then we can critique them for you and help you get them working well for you. Congrats!

Back