Modern VN No 10

Manderioli

Registered
Registered
I have found myself needing more precision than the original dials on my VN no10 could handle. Especially since I never knew exactly how accurate the dials were after 100 years of service. Decided to purchase a DRO Absolute Mag 3-axis scale on black friday for half the price. It has taken me roughly 5 Saturdays to install everything and be operational.

I decided the mag scales were best for several reasons:
-I have used DRO mag scales in the past
-Cut to length was needed for my 30" X 6" Y and 30" Z
-6 year warranty
-Slim profile
-The cost to have each lead screw/nut refurbished probably would have cost the same as the DRO and still not give me precision I wanted or ability to convert units on the fly.

I was only able to use one of the included brackets to mount the read head. Due to the shape of the VN, I had to customize a bracket for my Z read head. I didn't want the scale and head on the left side since the locks for Z and X are on the left. The longest part of the installation was orient each scale to the cast iron surfaces. I did lose some travel in the Y direction since the scale for X was mounted on the back side of the table.

I am happy with the setup and the improvement on the machine to last another 100 years of service.

IMG_7439.jpg

IMG_7440.jpg

IMG_7441.jpg

IMG_7442.jpg

IMG_7443.jpg

That's a handsome machine - would you provide a rundown on the (3) handles at the front?
I figure far left is the Knee. Center I'm assuming is the Saddle (Y), and I can't figure the far right. I can make out that it goes to a bevel gear,
but I can't figure it out. (blame the cold...)

Also could you post some details as to cost and where purchased for those of us trying to squeeze the budget for DR?

Thanks.

Hi Dan,

From left to right
Far left handle - X-axis table
Large Handle - Z-axis
Small middle - Y-axis
Far right handle - quick travel of x-axis table

Far right handle is connected to axiliurary shaft/motor to automate the x-axis of travel. Originally the mechanism ran off of the back from speed pulleys but have not found the mechanism online. So I connected a small motor with pulley sets to achieve the feed rate needed.

The DRO was from DROPRO.com. The cost on black friday was $964. I didn't need the absolute scale and would have been happy with the incremental, yet the cost was the cheapest I found for the scale.

Here is the link:
http://www.dropros.com/Electronica_...m#Electronica_Magnetic_Scale_3_Axis_Mill_Kits:

Very nice looking installation. Apparently I missed your thread with all your restoration photos. Also very well done!

Did you wind up getting the feed mechanism sorted out?

I really need to get up to Phoenix and have a look for myself. The next time you are down to Tucson, please look me up.

BTW, what's the serial number of the machine?

Thank you for the compliments.

Cal,
I will need to get back to you about the serial number as I don't remember at this time.

As for the feed mechanism, I used the small motor that came with the unit. I had to fabricate new braces to take the load and tension of the v-belt. Added an additional bearing mount due to the load was causing the first bearing to tilt downward. I added a switch that came with my South Bend Lathe to control the direction and mounted it to an aluminum bracket. I still need to add a tensioner to the v-belt as it currently hits the bracket I made. Also need to fabricate some stops for the table to hit the disconnect lever for the feed. Wish I had the original setup yet the electric drive is nice too.

I have added a 7x12 Enco Horizontal band saw to the shop and currently in the process of refurbishing everything including the paint. I prefer easy clean up and good looking machines.

I will be heading through Tucson on February 16 for a 24 hr Lemon Race in Willcox on 17/8. If you are available early morning / lunch time we could meet then.

I had to look that up, that's funny! link Sounds like fun!
"Racing shouldn’t just be for rich idiots. Racing should be for all idiots."

I'll coordinate with you via personal message.

I would like to get together with you when you pass through Tucson. I sent you a message. Check your inbox for a "Conversation" with me.

The van Norman mills are on my favorite wish to own list. You did a beautiful restore on this one , I'm gonna copy a picture and put it in my pictures collection. Can't afford one but pictures I can drool over. The install looks really well thought out and I agree the mag heads are the best.

Surprisingly the No 10 was obtained for $900. I could've worked the seller down but was too afraid I would loose the chance to own the perfect size mill for my shop.

Since then, I've spent another $2000 to make it a capable machine again. This included the DRO, new drive motor, v-belts, paint, bronze bushings, oils and tooling.

Looking good. I appreciate your updates! Ah, the Lemon race. The magazine Grassroots Motorsports, who happens to put on the Lemon races limit the total expenditure on each race entrant to a dollar amount = to the year of the event. So, the next event will require $2019 total or less for the car & build. Bartering, selling off parts not needed to recoup costs etc are expected. The magazine is a cover to cover read & I can't say that about the MoPar rags I actually subscribe to.

Back