Modifying a Harbor Freight 6X26 Knee Mill

I’d really like to hear more about these knee mills. I’m always checking hf website for more reviews. With the cost of a Clausing 8520 steadily rising, and these hf mills having what I’d consider technological improvements over them, I very often consider whether or not this model will be the one I buy when the time comes. I hope I’m not instigating a debate over the two. There are plenty of threads on that. But not very much about this hf knee mill. I’d think it would be a real popular option, but sometimes I worry they’ll drop it altogether before I decide to buy, judging by the scant information on the web about them.

When I found out about the one I have, I wasted no time going to see it and paid for it that day as I'd searched for so long and this one looked like new.

My thoughts were that I could always sell it, and I bought it against my wife's wishes as we'd just contracted to have a roof put on. As my son and I were hurriedly unloading it, my dad remarked, "it's gonna be kinda hard to keep it a secret if it kills the kid!" At which point we got a second engine hoist LOL.

It has its limitations and I regularly run up against them, but living in diesel brodozer country, there is always a redneck breaking something and my little knee mill paid for itself in just a few months in IIRC only four or five jobs and that doesn't count the "friends and family " jobs I charged a 12 pack of good American Pale Ale

Thanks for sharing! I recently obtained the exact same mill from CL. Could you share a few details on the power feed setup? What unit did you use and why. Is the screw extension the only mod needed or did you modify the cast trough?

Thanks for sharing! I recently obtained the exact same mill from CL. Could you share a few details on the power feed setup? What unit did you use and why. Is the screw extension the only mod needed or did you modify the cast trough?

The cast trough only had to be drilled for the screws to attach the power feed. The most difficult parts was just extending the shaft to the length needed. I also had to make an aluminum adapter and modify the stock dial so it could be installed with the power feed. It really wasn't that bad. I don't know the brand of the power feed as it was fitted when i bought the machine but the former owener made an aluminum plate to go in place of the cast trough. I remounted the cast trough and modified what he had done as you could not insert T- nuts on the side with the power feed and i didn't like it that way.

I've been reviewing some of the power feeds. Most info I've seen is very limited. Does yours have presets for different speeds or a knob with infinite variation? I guess what I'm asking is there a way to set the precise feed rate or is it just guesstimate?

I've been reviewing some of the power feeds. Most info I've seen is very limited. Does yours have presets for different speeds or a knob with infinite variation? I guess what I'm asking is there a way to set the precise feed rate or is it just guesstimate?

There is just a knob that has infinite adjustment.

I bought a used Jet mill that came with a factory X axis feed, turn the knob for feed speed. I haven't felt the need for exact feeds. As one of my some day projects I'd like to put the power draw bar on. Currently doing the modifications required to mount a knee feed. Every time I switch between collet & drill chuck I have to crank a lot. Don't know that I will ever use it as a power feed. The quill has a 3 speed feed like most of these machines. I installed a 3 axis DRO that works well. Saves a lot of time and improves my accuracy. The bolt hole function has been used quite a bit and saves a lot of math (mistakes.) Hobby machinists seem to spend more time modifying their tools than making product.

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO SEE THIS TYPE MILL USED TO ITS FULL POTENTIAL ,, CK OUT DOUBLE BOOST ON YOUTUBE. He has done about everything possible to extend and use it to the max. Recently he put a vfd motor and system sold for these mills. He loves the addition of that.

Hows your mill doing Torque Monkey? I am going to look at an Enco of the same style today, just wanted to see how you still like yours.

I still like it very much. I have some issues with it being a little small but I think that may happen to me no matter what. Lately, I have been working on a model steam engine and the parts are really tiny. It has worked perfectly.

I would say the biggest key to this is to have a DRO you can trust. The DRO I have on the mill is from DRO Pros and is VERY accurate. I have a cheap version on my lathe and accuracy has been an issue.

I have never regreted buying this mill. One day I might upgrade but this one still works very well.

I would say the biggest key to this is to have a DRO you can trust. The DRO I have on the mill is from DRO Pros and is VERY accurate. I have a cheap version on my lathe and accuracy has been an issue.

You didn't happen to get your first DRO from Aliexpress or Bangood did you? That's where I got the one for my Precision Mathews Lathe. Its been accurate so far (sample checking with indicator) but once in a while has a weird bug when it powers on that resolves with a restart. I was considering going DRO Pro's this time around. Thanks for getting back to my question!

Back