• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]
January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I bought the HF 6 ton press to easily take a small press into the field.
my 20 ton press doesn't move easily.
the new press is inexpensive and simple to assemble but it has an Achilles' heel..

the press can't pass objects larger than 1" between the frame rails on the bottom support.
this severely limits the capabilities of the press for pressing bearings from shafts.
my mod opens up new possibilities.
i used my vertical mill to remove the excess material in the middle of the rail with a (edit) 1" 4 fluted endmill.
Enjoy!

HF Press mod1.jpg HF Press mod2.jpg HF Press mod6.jpg HF Press mod3.jpg HF Press mod4.jpg HF Press mod5.jpg
thanks for looking!

Last edited:

master of none

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Thanks for the idea I've been thinking about buying the same press from HF now that there on sale 20% off that brings it down to about 59.00 dollars, thanks Rick

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Thanks for the idea I've been thinking about buying the same press from HF now that there on sale 20% off that brings it down to about 59.00 dollars, thanks Rick
Hi Rick,
i'm happy you'll get a bargain on the press!
i hope you post your mod, i'd like to see how another would do it. :)

markba633csi

I don't see why they put those pieces in there- Does it give extra strength or help make the frame more rigid?
What's up with that Mike?
Mark

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
I don't see why they put those pieces in there- Does it give extra strength or help make the frame more rigid?
What's up with that Mike?
Mark
Hi Mark,
i'm not exactly sure why they constructed it as they did.
(personally, i think the angle iron base is there for looks)
i would think that under a load the forces would want to push outwards at the base.
i could add 2 supports on either side of the hole i made, if the need arises

markba633csi

Ah I see now why they did it that way. Each side is made of 2 pieces so they needed some extra reinforcement, to tie the base together
Mark

Downunder Bob

I have modified my 5T log splitter so as to use as a hydraulic press as well as a log splitter. It is a bit limited as the throat is fairly narrow, but so far it has done what I needed.

C-Bag

Nice one Doc. There's always something on a HFT that have to go "what WERE they thinking?" But after seeing your mod, I would think with it supposedly being a benchtop press you wouldn't be going through the benchtop :) I've looked at that several times because of its size and ease of storage and thought about it. Good to know what it's d'oh! is.

Thanks for posting.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Nice one Doc. There's always something on a HFT that have to go "what WERE they thinking?" But after seeing your mod, I would think with it supposedly being a benchtop press you wouldn't be going through the benchtop :) I've looked at that several times because of its size and ease of storage and thought about it. Good to know what it's d'oh! is.
Thanks for posting.
Hi C-Bag,
thanks for reading!
the press is limited in length of material it can press, the mod was necessary to make the press useful to me :grin:

[6]
[5] [7]