• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]

Monarch 10EE Chuck Key From Scratch

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I was missing a chuck key for my Monarch 10EE,
so i made one from stuff i had laying around. :grin:

i got a 1" diameter piece of colled rolled unknownium that i thought i'd start off with.
FullSizeRender_5.jpg

i turned a few thousandths off the diameter and faced the end off and parted off a 7" length for the key body

FullSizeRender_2_1.jpg

i measured the keyhole in the monarch chuck diagonally.
i got an inscribed circle of .665", so i turned the blank down to .670" on one end.

FullSizeRender_3_1.jpg

i set the blank in a square 5C collet block and milled the square drive end to a final measurement of .664"
i turned .040" per side off as a decorative touch, and broke the edges with a worn out 60* carbide threading tool that i reshaped on the tool grinder
i crossdrilled the body reamed to .3745" bore and inserted a frozen .375" rod to the body warmed by a heat gun.
i added some red locktite and got a light press fit.
here is the finished work

FullSizeRender_4_1.jpg

i paint (poorly) all my Chuck Keys orange for easy visual identification

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

thanks for reading!

Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]