Monarch 10EE Chuck Key From Scratch

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Platinum Supporter
I was missing a chuck key for my Monarch 10EE,
so i made one from stuff i had laying around. :grin:

i got a 1" diameter piece of colled rolled unknownium that i thought i'd start off with.
FullSizeRender_5.jpg

i turned a few thousandths off the diameter and faced the end off and parted off a 7" length for the key body

FullSizeRender_2_1.jpg

i measured the keyhole in the monarch chuck diagonally.
i got an inscribed circle of .665", so i turned the blank down to .670" on one end.

FullSizeRender_3_1.jpg

i set the blank in a square 5C collet block and milled the square drive end to a final measurement of .664"
i turned .040" per side off as a decorative touch, and broke the edges with a worn out 60* carbide threading tool that i reshaped on the tool grinder
i crossdrilled the body reamed to .3745" bore and inserted a frozen .375" rod to the body warmed by a heat gun.
i added some red locktite and got a light press fit.
here is the finished work

FullSizeRender_4_1.jpg

i paint (poorly) all my Chuck Keys orange for easy visual identification

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

thanks for reading!

Last edited:
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock