monarch 10ee decision help

Todd

Active User
Registered
Hi, i dont post much in this sub forum but i have been looking for a 10ee or 12ckk for some time now. I found a 10ee for a decent price going by the guys description. It is a 1941 model, not sure what top speed it is he wasnt sure (only talking via phone at the moment) there is the normal wear for a 70 year old machine i have no problem with that, all my machines are that old. The one thing that does concern me though is the seller says that the lathe will go only go up 350 to 400 rpm in foreward, and barely get going in reverse (his words havnt had a chance to go inspect it myself). its under power so i can get a better feel for it myself. hes asking 1300, comes with a dorian toolpost, 3 and 4 jaw, steady rest and taper attachment. Can anyone tell from the pictures if this is equiped with ELSR? i dont think it is, but my knowledge on all the variations of the 10EE is somewhat limited. From the pictures can anyone identify any features that i have not mentioned?

In youre guys oppinions do you think it is worth me traveling the 6 hours to go inspect it, whenever i do this long drive for a machine i alwasy end up bringing it home so more like do you think its a good buy?

Without much more info i dont know how precise you guys can get on the foreward reverse issue, from what i read the MG drives arent terribly difficult to work on. I have a minor in EET so i would most likely be able to fix it with some help from you guys. He said some PO had messed with the wiring some but everything was original still.

I am kind of on the fence, price seems right for the state its in, and the little bit of tooling it comes with, just looking for some persuasion.
I know it will be better by far then my current heavy 10, but it will need some re working to get there.

here are some of the few pics he has up

monarch 1.jpgmonarch 2.jpgmonarch 3.jpg

monarch 1.jpg monarch 2.jpg monarch 3.jpg

Todd,

This machine is a second generation round-dial. It was the first generation to have the motor/generator (MG) drive and would have originally had a MG with an in-line exciter. The only optional feature that it seems to have is the taper attachment.

Assuming that it still has the original drive, I would be surprised if there was anything too terribly wrong with it, based solely on your description. A set of brushes may be all that it needs. The fact that it's running forward and reverse, but struggling in reverse is what makes me suspect brushes.

I don't think that you can get hurt too badly at that price. Worst case, you can part it out and probably come out about even.

If you are going to go see it, I can probably arrange to be available to talk to you about it on the phone once you are with the machine.

Cal

Todd,

This machine is a second generation round-dial. It was the first generation to have the motor/generator (MG) drive and would have originally had a MG with an in-line exciter. The only optional feature that it seems to have is the taper attachment.

Assuming that it still has the original drive, I would be surprised if there was anything too terribly wrong with it, based solely on your description. A set of brushes may be all that it needs. The fact that it's running forward and reverse, but struggling in reverse is what makes me suspect brushes.

I don't think that you can get hurt too badly at that price. Worst case, you can part it out and probably come out about even.

If you are going to go see it, I can probably arrange to be available to talk to you about it on the phone once you are with the machine.

Cal

This is one of the many great things about this forum and the folks who are here. You don't find that many other places. Well maybe some of them if you're in the "clique" which I guess I've never been.

I LOVE this place!

Back