Monarch 10EE rebuild 10Hp VFD no backgear

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

mksj, I wire my e-stops the same way to leave the VFDs energized but require the run/start button to restart. Allows the machine to restart without delay. Cheers, Bill

Just a couple final questions before calling this VFD project complete.

This lathe is a tool room lathe not a big beefy hogging machine. 10hp is too much motor except at very low speeds.

H105 is rated current 0.0 to 1.0 times current capacity of inverter. would setting this lower make the inverter kick out at lower current settings?

H103 is motor capacity, anything here to help?

B022 is overload restriction, maybe lower this value??

or are there other parameters to look at?

H117 starting current can be set from 20 to 100 default is 70

There is a spindle lock on the lathe. would setting this to a low value kick out the motor easily if accidentally started with spindle locked?

Again, THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Last edited:
On mine the spindle lock includes a factory installed switch. If yours does too, you should be able to wire that into the VFD controls to prevent starting with the lock active.

On mine the spindle lock includes a factory installed switch. If yours does too, you should be able to wire that into the VFD controls to prevent starting with the lock active.

Not on mine. I'd do that in a second if one can be ordered. Could you take pics of it? i will ask about buying it.

H Group, must be set to the motor name plate values otherwise the motor will not run well. If you adjust the starting power it will not effect the running power. I would adjust B022 to maybe 100 -130% range, this might effect low speed power when initiating a deep cut or say drilling with a large drill. The issue with all this is that low speed power will be decreased. Make sure you do a motor autotune with the belts off when you are all done and then set H002 = 2 to load the new motor constants.

On spindle lock, cover lock, etc. typically you can use a small limit switch that goes open and interrupts the signalling for the run commands or is in serial with the E-Stop. Usually a roller or plunger type, although I also use proximity switches for some systems.

Say, the H100s do not show up for VFD programming even with the B31 and B37 set. Any ideas?

The only motor parameters that should need H003 and H004. I do not see any H100 parameters in my manual and the H020 parameters are for a second motor

Rabler I noticed your lathe has the micro switch interrupt to prevent starting with the lock pin engaged. Mine doesn't have this micro switch feature and I wish it did as I have (more than a few times) started the lathe back up with the lock engaged. Do you have any drawings on how this micro switch was added to the lock assy? I assume from your picture here it must be a plunger-type micro switch. I'd really like to modify mine to add this electric lock-out interrupt while I have my lathe out of service. What year is your 10EE? Mine is a '52. I don't know when Monarch started putting these electric lockouts on or maybe it was just an optional upgrade. Here's what mine looks like. Bill

Attachments

• 10EE Spindle Lock.jpg
    10EE Spindle Lock.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 10EE Spindle Lock (parts).jpg
    10EE Spindle Lock (parts).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 20
Nightshift
Mine is a ‘64. Looks like they milled through the casing to mount the limit switch, right between the two diagonal bolts that hold the assembly onto the headstock. Vintagemachinery.org has parts diagrams for a 1965 model IIRC. You could check those for details. Not sure how much they show for this.

Back