Monarch 10ee round dial Repair

Here's an update, I started doing the body work on the Lathe bed. I pressure washed 2 coats of paint off then stripped the remaining 2 coats. Her are 2 pics back side bare metal front side all bondo'd up. I sand the bare metal to remove the surface rust then apply bondo. When I get everything bondo'd I will prime it with a 2 part epoxy primer. then prep for paint.114.JPG116.JPG

114.JPG 116.JPG

Bob,

The bondo work looks great. (I know how much work that is.) I'm guessing this isn't your first rodeo...

You probably know this, but for less experienced readers, be very careful with epoxy paints. A lot of the high-end industrial paints use isocyanate hardeners which are very toxic and require special protective equipment, such as a supplied-air respirator. It's always a good idea to get the MSDS for the paint AND hardener and check the cautions.

Cal

I've painted a few cars in my younger days. Everyone pay attention to Cal's advice my 2k primer does have some nasty stuff in it and it's hard to sand. The only advantage to it is it's durable. That's why I'm going to use it on all top surfaces where coolant or cutting fluids are. Everything else will be done in urethane primer. I bought a gallon of graphite gray urethane to paint the lathe in. I will be using a fullface respirator. Bob

Made a new cross feed Leadscrew today here's a pic of the old one and the new one. I started with a nook screw then turned it down, threaded the short end and slotted the long end for the telescopic function and soldered the solid bushing on the slotted end. Bob

002.JPG

Made a new cross feed Leadscrew today here's a pic of the old one and the new one. I started with a nook screw then turned it down, threaded the short end and slotted the long end for the telescopic function and soldered the solid bushing on the slotted end. Bob

Bob

What was wrong with the old one? Worn?

Just read your thread. Nice work.

Thanks The old one was worn about 10 thou in the middle I ordered a new nut as well off the guy on ebay. My only concern is it's brass not bronze.

Got my first coat of primer on the lathe bed today. I'm going to pick up my lathe bed on Thursday from the grinders. Here's a couple of pictures. Bob001.JPG002.JPG

001.JPG 002.JPG

I picked up my Lathe bed from the grinders Thursday. Unfortunately I got the flu and can't play. Maybe I can finish sanding and reprime the lathe bed in a couple of days. Bob

Hi Bob,
That is one magnificent finish - with all the work of stripping, filling and painting you must be pretty proud. Looks like custom car quality. If you could please answer one question. I have a lathe (Cromwell) which is suppose to have a tachometer driven off the motor armature voltage - do Monarch use electricity or mechanical means to drive the tach?
Thanks,
Michael

Back