Monarch 10EE - what to do?

You've done a very impressibe job there - I always wondered what an AC retrofit would look like for a 10EE... and now I know! I hope you find using it a joy. :encourage:

wow, what a journey! Great story and beautiful looking lathe. So, how is it compared with your South Bends? Are you going to keep either of the SBs for longer work?

It's funny to see both sides of the original arguments play out - you got a beautiful (literally, a work of art) lathe for hopefully not crazy money and one that is probably leaps and bounds in fit, finish and use over an equivalent size import, but it did take you 3 years to get there :)

wow, what a journey! Great story and beautiful looking lathe. So, how is it compared with your South Bends? Are you going to keep either of the SBs for longer work?

It's funny to see both sides of the original arguments play out - you got a beautiful (literally, a work of art) lathe for hopefully not crazy money and one that is probably leaps and bounds in fit, finish and use over an equivalent size import, but it did take you 3 years to get there :)
Thanks!

So far, the Monarch is light years ahead of the Southbound 9A (I sold the other one - a Heavy 10). The comparison, to be fair, is Apples vs. Oranges. The plan is to sell the 9A, even though it's pretty well equipped, as I'd like to reclaim some floor space for a bench...and some money.

As for the previous "arguments" - sure...everyone is entitled to their own opinion...and along the way, I listened and learned. In the end, I did it for fun and as a hobby for my own personal satisfaction - and utilimately, for my use. It took 3 years on the calendar but not 3 years of work.

For general interest:

Originally sold to Universal Engineering Co. of Frankenmuth MI - promised 3-10-41. It originally came with a stready rest, follow rest, taper attachment and carriage micrometer stop. I have none of these accessory items, unfortunately. I have no idea how many times it changed hands over the years. Hopefully it will serve me well.

@Phayb

I contributed reply #3 but didn't really follow the thread. I'm very pleased to read that you have conquered the challenge and now have a great machine tool.

Congratulations. :clapping:

Back